Staying Home from Work?

OhioBelle

Reaction score
I've been enjoying my new Mainland Soprano so much over the past two days, I can't bear the thought of putting her down to go to work tomorrow.

How about it? Is a new ukulele a good excuse to stay home from work? Do tell!

I've been enjoying my new Mainland Soprano so much over the past two days, I can't bear the thought of putting her down to go to work tomorrow.

How about it? Is a new ukulele a good excuse to stay home from work? Do tell!

No, it's not a good excuse - 24 hour 'flu' is much better :p

or you could tell them that you had spicy Thai food for dinner, at a new friends house (saves you from having to name the restaurant), and have been in the bathroom all night 'with problems at both ends', and this morning you are severely incontinent (and dehydrated) and the MULTIPLE DOSES of Immodium and/or Maalox is simply not working at all and you need to stay home near the bathroom - and this also gets you out of having to do any actual work from home, since you would have told them that you will likely be 'in the bathroom' or 'in bed' all day....

I will neither confirm nor deny if I myself have actually used this excuse to stay home from work or something, like... I dunno...

Staying home is probably a bad idea.

If your hands are shaking, and you get fever from missing your new ukulele, you could tell your boss that you have caugth a bad case of NUOS, or something tat sounds worse. Then if he/she asks you can tell that it means New Ukulele Obsession Syndrome. Or whatever fits the scary abbreviation you come up with :)

Sorry to be a little cold hearted here, but I don't have that problem anymore, I'm retired.

I think that when one starts calling in and lying about being sick in order to stay home from work to play a ukulele, that their hobby has gotten out of hand. Doesn't everyone always say that UAS is not a problem, as long as it isn't negatively affecting work or family?

Hmmm... Ohio, maybe you can call in and tell them the perfectly truthful fact that you were "up ukin' " all night, and that you'll likely be "up ukin' " all day today as well. Now, if they happen to mis-hear that as "up pukin' " ... well... so be it!

I think that when one starts calling in and lying about being sick in order to stay home from work to play a ukulele, that their hobby has gotten out of hand. Doesn't everyone always say that UAS is not a problem, as long as it isn't negatively affecting work or family?

Yep, it's a slippery slope. One minute you're pulling a sickie and then, before you know know it, you're smoking crack and holding up liquor stores.

Last edited:
Yep, it's a slippery slope. One minute your pulling a sickie and then, before you know know it, you're smoking crack and holding up liquor stores.

All while playing a thrilling rendition of "Highway to Hell" on your Uke!

Sorry to be a little cold hearted here, but I don't have that problem anymore, I'm retired.

I don't think that's cold hearted. Heck, assuming you worked long enough to retire, you've earned it and deserve to enjoy it.

I've been busting my butt since 1982 but because of what were, in retrospect, some not great decisions and some circumstances beyond my control, I'll have to work until I drop dead. And, not to whine too much, but at the rate I seem to be falling apart, it may not take very long to reach that point.

Yep, it's a slippery slope. One minute your pulling a sickie and then, before you know know it, you're smoking crack and holding up liquor stores.
And, maybe your job isn't worth much to you anyway. Whatever, I'm retired, so I'm not put in that position where I have to decide what is important and what isn't.

Y'all are CRACKING ME UP!

Would you be disappointed in me if I said I caved and went to work? Well, I did.

But now I can play!!!
:music::music::music::smileybounce:

I don't think that's cold hearted. Heck, assuming you worked long enough to retire, you've earned it and deserve to enjoy it.

I've been busting my butt since 1982 but because of what were, in retrospect, some not great decisions and some circumstances beyond my control, I'll have to work until I drop dead. And, not to whine too much, but at the rate I seem to be falling apart, it may not take very long to reach that point.

I hear ya. I started working away from the farm at 16. I've had lotsa jobs, made several attempts at starting a biz. I think working for money is highly overrated. I'll not be able to fully retire either, SS isn't enough to live on, unless we decide that we like sweating during the Florida summers so much we don't need AC, and who needs a car anyway? And heck, I ate lotsa beans and rice in college.....

This is my 3rd day being home from work. I'm not sick. It's personal. I really haven't played much more than if I had worked, but the house is cleaner....and the yard is mostly picked up from the tropical storm.

Y'all are CRACKING ME UP!

Would you be disappointed in me if I said I caved and went to work? Well, I did.

But now I can play!!!
:music::music::music::smileybounce:

Not a disappointment at all! Delayed gratification is a sign of a highly developed moral code....or some such blather!

I hear ya. I started working away from the farm at 16. I've had lotsa jobs, made several attempts at starting a biz. I think working for money is highly overrated. I'll not be able to fully retire either, SS isn't enough to live on, unless we decide that we like sweating during the Florida summers so much we don't need AC, and who needs a car anyway? And heck, I ate lotsa beans and rice in college.....

This is my 3rd day being home from work. I'm not sick. It's personal. I really haven't played much more than if I had worked, but the house is cleaner....and the yard is mostly picked up from the tropical storm.

A great old friend of mine recently moved his family from Tulsa, OK to Florida. They tried Pensacola first but didn't feel it was a great fit. They are now in Panama City and enjoy it a great deal.

My sister relocated to Florida about 20 years ago (Destin first, now Ft. Walton Beach) and says she would never live anywhere else.

I have been very intrigued by Florida of late. Not much interest in Miami, and I am trying to learn more about other regions of the state, but my wife and I like the idea. Maybe we'll take a mini-trip down there first and scout around.

I have at least set foot in 46 of the contiguous US states. I have lived in 13 and spent a decent amount of time or at least traveled through all the others. somehow I have managed to never set foot in Florida. I really want to change that.

I know this is very off topic, but I have said it over and again--I do not mind work. I have had many jobs most other people would never countenance doing. I have often held more than one job at a time (for years when my kids were little I held a full time and a part time job.) So, I am happy to work. I just feel as though you essentially give close to half your waking life to being in a workplace...if you work 8 hours a day and sleep about 8 hours, that leaves roughly 8 hours of free time...of course most people have weekends, but for me they tend to be as busy as a work day.

Anyways, again--I do not mind working, and I have many jobs I have enjoyed a great deal. I am lucky to love my current job. My only real issue is--if I am going to give some company or other organization that much of my time, energy, skills and hard work. I don't think it's too much, or too much like "commie talk" to just want to make an actual living. To make enough to be able to pay for our shelter, food and utility bills and not have to struggle and juggle every month. We live very frugally. As frugally as possible. We don't buy a lot of "stuff" or have cable, fancy cars, etc. We don't do "extras."

I don't want a mansion, a yacht, a dozen instruments, marble sculptures, amazing cars, etc. I truly don't care for those kinds of things. But I'd like to be able to get my kids' dental work done, have enough extra to fix the brakes on my car, maybe be able to take off for a weekend and go somewhere pretty nearby. But not only can we not do that, we can't even take care of the basics without robbing Peter to pay Paul every month. On paper it looks like I make good money, but that's my gross. What I actually net is far, far less due to taxes, insurance, etc.

And I am nothing special--I know this. In fact, I acknowledge that I am far better off than many in this nation and most people in the rest of the world. It just sometimes feels like a raw deal. You only get one life. I think when I get to the end of mine, I might look back and, as far as how much I've worked and what benefits I actually derived from working, I will say "Well, that was a stupid waste."

New baby, very unexpected and happy arrival? Sounds like a great one to me! :D

Top Bottom