Tabs for Low G uke

whistleman123

Reaction score
I'm looking for a book of uke tabs for low g strung ukes. I would prefer pop, broadway, & swing.
Can anyone recomend some books?
Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Tabs are not the same for low and high g.
Maybe if you strum they're the same, but if you're playing melody stuff.. definitely not the same.

I'm looking for a book of uke tabs for low g strung ukes. I would prefer pop, broadway, & swing.

If you are wanting to play the melodies, a lot of the Daily Uke songs & the Fake Books have the musical notation, which is what I use to write out my own tab, it's not hard if you have a fretboard map to hand.

Book wise, you need to be looking for Fingerstyle.

Edit: One such is:- The Beatles for Fingerstyle Ukulele- 25 solo arrangements with tab - Hal Leonard - Arrangements by Fred Sokolow.

Last edited:
You've missed the point, low G gives a uke an extra 5 semitones lower than the normal lowest note of C. ;)

Also, do not confuse tab with chords. :)

Certainly, but one still plays the chords the same. A book of tab sheets is for playing chords is it not?

Ahhh, but maybe I misunderstood what he is requesting. Perhaps a book of tabbed tunes for low G tuning. Well, Gosh and Heck.

No, whistleman123, I try to use tabs without music notation as little as possible, and I don't like low G tuning. :eek:ld:

Edit: One such is:- The Beatles for Fingerstyle Ukulele- 25 solo arrangements with tab - Hal Leonard - Arrangements by Fred Sokolow.

I feel it should be noted that this is written for re-entrant tuning.

Honestly the combination of low-g and your musical preferences leaves me drawing a blank. Good luck - hope you find something :)

Last edited:
I don't understand. The tabs are the same for low or high G chords.

A book of tab sheets is for playing chords is it not?

No, it's not! Tab (short for tablature) refers to the numeric system of indicating actual notes, not just chords. The sheets with just chord grids are usually called chord sheets, in my experience.

Here are a couple of examples of true tab lifted from the web. Sometimes they include standard notation as well, sometimes not.

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 10.08.56 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-13 at 10.09.17 AM.jpg

You might look into Jazz Chord Solos for Tenor Ukulele - oddly named but it's for low G rather than specific to tenor scale. I've seen very few low G tab arrangements out there in print - there are a few sites on the web that have some though.

No, it's not! Tab (short for tablature) refers to the numeric system of indicating actual notes, not just chords. The sheets with just chord grids are usually called chord sheets, in my experience.

Here are a couple of examples of true tab lifted from the web. Sometimes they include standard notation as well, sometimes not.

View attachment 91837View attachment 91838

You are, of course, correct. It was just a misunderstanding on my part, but I thought we had already covered all this. To err is human, I'm afraid, but, alas, not for me. :eek:ld:

Not a book, but some great tabs in low G created by Chief Noda:
http://www.chiefnoda.com/ukulele/#tabsection

I also try to rework tabs that are reentrant for low G when it's something I'd like to play when I have my ukulele strung low G. Often, only minor modifications are needed.

I would highly recommend Daniel Ho's Polani book. Exact tabs of his CD Polani. Songs are really beautiful imo and all Low G. Can never play as well as Daniel makes them sound, but it is nice to have the tabs for the CD, so you can hear how it should sound and help to try to aspire to that.

Also, the HMS website, ukulelesite resource section has tabs for a number of songs, and a number are low G.

Also, Dominator has a nice ukulele site with tabs and some are low G.

Do a search here on UU for camsuke.

Campbell has produced a wealth of tabs for both High and Low G. Entertaining, easy to follow, and with a great deal of variety in his musical selections.

He is a gift to us here on UU.

+1 for camsuke

There is a nice collection of Low G tabs here PDF Minstrel. Also, look for baritone tabs... they should work as well, but be in a different key due to the tuning differences. Also check out some of the links on our website: Westside Ukulele Ensemble
–Lori

Browsing thru Meetups (who actually allow you to view their uke files) - I found me this gem - 164 pages TABs for Low G Uke!!

Download it whilst it is still available to view! Some great songs in it to suit most players/styles/genre

Not all songs use the actual (Low) G string - so plenty are fine for normal High G TAB players as well!!

ENJOY!!

http://files.meetup.com/6267212/Chord Melody Songbook 4 6 16.pdf

cheers

Roberta

It takes a while to load - let me know if it doesn't load, or just PM me your email & I can send you the pdf file.

You might look into Jazz Chord Solos for Tenor Ukulele - oddly named but it's for low G rather than specific to tenor scale. I've seen very few low G tab arrangements out there in print - there are a few sites on the web that have some though.

Warning: If you actually want to read the notes in that book as opposed to reading the tabs, the entire book is misprinted with everything 8va. It's really annoying.

Browsing thru Meetups (who actually allow you to view their uke files) - I found me this gem - 164 pages TABs for Low G Uke!!

Download it whilst it is still available to view! Some great songs in it to suit most players/styles/genre

Not all songs use the actual (Low) G string - so plenty are fine for normal High G TAB players as well

http://files.meetup.com/6267212/Chord Melody Songbook 4 6 16.pdf

cheers

Roberta

It takes a while to load - let me know if it doesn't load, or just PM me your email & I can send you the pdf file.

Thanks! I just printed the whole book!

Top Bottom