PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Baritone tabs to Low G Uke tabs

SoloRule
06-13-2016, 04:19 AM
I am not sure Baritone suddenly becomes popular in UU or I am just noticing it after I bought one. There seems to be a lot more posts regarding Baritone this past weeks.

Here is one more:
Pls note when I say tabs I means finger style not chords.

I compare some Baritone tabs to Ukulele Low G arrangements, they seem to be very similar.
Am I right to say that you can play pretty much all Low G arrangements on Baritone ?
As long as you are not using chords, Baritone is no difference from regular size uke therefore there is nothing new to learn ! Correct?

Croaky Keith
06-13-2016, 04:56 AM
You just have a few more lower notes, (& a few less higher), on a bari compared to a low G setup, so yes, basically, you can play them all. :)

I think you'll find the sudden interest is from people relatively new here, like myself. ;)

N.B. You can play the chords on a bari.

Ukulele Eddie
06-13-2016, 05:11 AM
...I compare some Baritone tabs to Ukulele Low G arrangements, they seem to be very similar.
Am I right to say that you can play pretty much all Low G arrangements on Baritone ?
As long as you are not using chords, Baritone is no difference from regular size uke therefore there is nothing new to learn ! Correct?...

You can play them whether they are finger style or chords. Your finger position is the same, but the chord has a different name. That doesn't matter. What matters is the sound coming out of your sweet baritone! ;-)

Note that you can also play a lot of High G (Re-Entrant C) tabs on a Low G (Linear C) or Low D (Linear G) ukulele. Sometimes it requires no tweaking at all. Sometimes you need to find an alternative way to play certain notes (e.g., instead of playing an open 4th string G which would be an octive too low, play the 2nd string fretted at the third fret which is the same octive G as on a Re-Entrant C uke). And sometimes it doesn't work well at all. It depends on the arrangement.

BTW, most of us without musical backgrounds were all confused/surprised by this at some point. I borrowed a baritone uke from a fellow member and just played a few songs that I knew. They sounded fine, except in a few cases where the active note was off (e.g., there was a melody note on the 4th string). At first, I was thoroughly confused because I "assumed" I would have to learn all new chord shapes. So, hang in there and have fun exploring!

Down Up Dick
06-13-2016, 05:12 AM
If one fingerpicks Low G arrangements (tabs) on a Lo D GBE baritone, they'll sound all right but be lower pitched and in a different key.

Do you fingerpick without chords? :old:

JackLuis
06-13-2016, 05:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that you can use tabs on either, it's just you'll be playing in a different key or note. It will sound Okay, unless you're playing with others who are in C6. I'm not a note picker, but I play my bari like it was a Concert using the same chord forms and it is just a fourth lower (4th right?), on some songs as shifting to Bari forms to stay in key is a bit hard for me at this time, though I am learning to play in proper keys for other songs.

I play my dGBE Tenors mostly as the Bari is a little big and my concerts are too high for me to sing with.

Mivo
06-13-2016, 05:16 AM
I think the baritone topics were always here (I dug up quite a few when reading up on baritone-y matters over the past week), but I had never noticed them before as I had not been interested in the size until I spontaneously bought one. Like you, I'm quite under its spell right now. :) (I changed mine to high-d today, though, as I found the linear tuning too boom-y.)

SoloRule
06-13-2016, 06:07 AM
The only complaint I have with the Baritone is the high notes that goes pass fret 10 . They are not as clean as a tenor.
The frets height are actually easier than the other sizes even with my small hands. Somehow less mistake shown when not fretting properly.
Yes it is a great sounding instrument but I must remind myself not to love my tenors less. LOL
Back to the topic of this thread. I found the huge difference is with classical pieces. For those , I pretty much have to stick with the arrangement suggested key tuning.

Croaky Keith
06-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Slightly off topic.

Yes it is a great sounding instrument but I must remind myself not to love my tenors less. LOL

You might like to consider trying Concert scale Low G string set tuned to (low) D G B E on a Tenor, I have my old one set up this way. :)

SoloRule
06-13-2016, 07:48 AM
I have Low G tenors
If I tune it to DGBE the strings may be too loose for finger picking. No?

Croaky Keith
06-13-2016, 08:07 AM
I have Low G tenors
If I tune it to DGBE the strings may be too loose for finger picking. No?

I'm using Concert length strings. :)

Edit: Aquila with Red Low G.

SoloRule
06-13-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm using Concert length strings. :)

Edit: Aquila with Red Low G.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THOSE RED.....if they don't snap.