Hoping to identify uke

kamira

Reaction score
Hi there, a friend saved a uke from the clutches of an artist who was hoping to stick a nail through it ... we can't identify its make or origins but it does have some unusual features. Bowed back, s-shaped fretboard, wedge shaped machine heads, beading. The label is mostly ripped out. Can anyone help?
Robyn

IMG_7059.jpgIMG_7060.jpgIMG_7061.jpgIMG_7062.jpgIMG_7065.jpg

Whoa! Glad you were able to save it...but I have no idea what it is!

My gut tells me it's late 1920's/early 1930's. The tuners are not original. Somebody put a set of 1950's-60's Harmony "shark fin" tuners on it at some point.

The rope binding reminds me of some early Regals, though I don't think I've seen binding that elaborate. And the S-shaped fretboard extension is absolutely unique.

Is there any salvageable info on what's left of the paper label? A word even?

That's really cool! I love old instruments. This one looks like it has a story to tell, full of love songs, parties, and jazz age romance.

Hope someone here can identify it.

those shark tooth tuners and fretboard cutout at the body should help someone I.D. it. Perhaps the binding as well. Good luck, nice find.

I know exactly what it is. It is a Sky Lark from the Peoples Republic of China, made in the 50s or early 60s before the cultural revolution. The fret board extension was pointed out to me as a Yin and Yang format. The tuners I had on the 2 I've owned are Kluson like what are used on the same era Martin 0s. Don't know who distributed them, I've also seen less well made ones. I really like the bindings but they were a bit over built so sound wise they don't stand up to Gretchs or Martins Still nice lookers. I have one as a wall-hanger in my Bathroom.

Last edited:
I know exactly what it is. It is a Sky Lark from the Peoples Republic of China, made in the 50s or early 60s before the cultural revolution. The fret board extension was pointed out to me as a Yin and Yang format. The tuners I had on the 2 I've owned are Kluson like what are used on the same era Martin 0s. Don't know who distributed them, I've also seen less well made ones. I really like the bindings but they were a bit over built so sound wise they don't stand up to Gretchs or Martins Still nice lookers. I have one as a wall-hanger in my Bathroom.

Fascinating stuff, this is the sort of thing I love about UU! So much knowledge here. More info here and here.

Are the lighter-colored bits on the rope binding bamboo?

Are the lighter-colored bits on the rope binding bamboo?

Both of the Sky Larks had very different bindings. Both were very colorful and like nothing I've seen anywhere else. Kind of a Chinese sensibility as far as color combination. Tried thinning the soundboard but it made very little difference, hence wall hanger.

I'm so excited! Thank you Spongeuke. How it ended up in New Zealand at a garage sale is a mystery. Now, it will avoid having the nail through it. Thank you thank you :)

Top Bottom