Aquila 56U baritone strings

Mivo

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the Aquila U56 set of strings?

It is a high-d set with a wound g-string. I'm actually unsure if these are still being made, and only found relatively few outlets that carry them at all. Before I try them and might end up liking them just to then find out they have been discontinued, I wanted to check first.

I'm also interested in feedback on the included wound string. Is it squeaky? Does it wear out quickly? (One of the Ko'olau wound strings showed colorations after ten days of playing in humid-ish weather, but I don't know if that is normal.)

Last edited:
I just got the LW re-entrant bari strings in the mail, too. :) They are still settling, so I don't have an opinion yet. Since there are so few string options for re-entrant G tuning, though, I figured I'd try those that are available. I think I prefer unwound, too. Southcoast have sets also, so I plan to sample those as well. Living Water strings are convenient, though, since they can ordered from within Europe. Ken shipped quickly.

(I sent Aquila a note also.)

Squeaky wound strings are just part of the charm of guitars and ukuleles. Steel string acoustic guitars ALWAYS squeak and next to no one complains. Its just part of the sound. Wound bass strings are there for some very good reasons. One of them is better intonation than a comparable unwound string.

Anthony

If you're trying all the strings on that Pono, Mivo, you might want to try Worth Brown Tenor strings, the only difference in the Tenor and Baritone strings is the Baritone D sting is 0.358 " dia and the Tenor High G is 0.316" dia. I use the Tenor strings on my Tenor tuned dGBE and have the Baritone s on my Bari. I don't know if they are easily available in Germany though. I'm going to try the high d on my baritone when I stop playing low D. I just hate all the retuning of new strings and the Bari just settled down.

The Worths are fluorocarbons so may not be much different that the LW's. Although Browns are supposed to be 'warmer', what ever that means?

I heard back from Aquila: The 56U strings have been discontinued and are no longer being made.

So I guess there are no high-d baritone sets by Aquila anymore, at least for now. I'd love for them to make a completely unwound set in the future. (Mimmo, are you listening? :))

By looking at a few manufactures websites I was able to determine the diameter of most high d strings are around....0244". This is the same diameter as Oasis e string. So I swapped out the d string on my Pono and turned it into a reenetrant. Sounds great tension and pitch are good and holds both well. Just some food for thought if anyone whats to try reentrant without buying a full set.

This is for florocarbon strings and you can't put it on an existing set of Aquilas. But if you can find out the diameter of the old Aquila reenetrant d string and then get a matching diameter Aquila string you'd be in business.

Last edited:
Squeaky wound strings are just part of the charm of guitars and ukuleles. Steel string acoustic guitars ALWAYS squeak and next to no one complains. Its just part of the sound. Wound bass strings are there for some very good reasons. One of them is better intonation than a comparable unwound string.

Anthony

Agree 100%. But my issue with wound uke strings is I just seem to wear them out faster than unwounds. They either start sounding dead quicker or snap more readily.

Anthony

I agree, and I have wound strings wherever I have low pitched ones. I think the string squeek has a professional sound. I also like that one doesn't hafta mess with the nut to use them.

I have Aquila strings on all my Ukes, and the low pitched ones are all wound. And I'm not a string experimenter, I probably couldn't hear the difference between them anyway. Maybe I'll fool with different strings when I learn how to play. Now that I've gotten rid of the red ones, I'm satisfied.

As for breakage, I've been waiting a long time for some of the low G strings to break so I can change to high but no luck so far. I just can't throw away perfectly useable strings.
:eek:ld:

My string journey continues.. let me make a new thread about that since this one was just about the Aquila set, which is no longer being made. :)

Top Bottom