Decleer ukulele?

Martynas

Reaction score
Hello guys, i was browsing youtube and saw video where guy was creating an ukulele.
here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdT6C4sn9pI
it looks pretty amazing for me at the end and the sound is sweet but i wanted to ask what do you think about his ukuleles? (if you are lazy to look whole process of building you can skip to 8:30
i'd like to get answers to these questions:
what do you think about the sound?
do you think that he makes proffesional grade ukuleles?
Thanks

Not sure you are going to find many folks that know about or own his ukuleles, since having been on this forum for 3 yrs now, this is the first I've seen of them, and I watch LOTS of YT videos, both playing and building ukes...

Having said that, it looks very nice, and sounds very nice, but have no idea on price or where to get one, so can't help you there.

Also, since these ukes seem to be hand-made and made-to-order, I would expect them to be significantly more expensive than the Pono uke that you already have, so you might want to consider that when looking at such a finely-crafted hand-made instrument. Making a ukulele like that is NOT a 'weekend project'.

i have kanilea k-1 tenor satin :D
i contacted him and he said the exactly same model as in the video would cost ~1200 euros
i dont think he had thought that his ukes are very nice and he can become great luthier its more like hobby for him i guess, thats why he isnt known here or anywhere else.
and building time is ~6 months.

i have kanilea k-1 tenor satin :D
i contacted him and he said the exactly same model as in the video would cost ~1200 euros
i dont think he had thought that his ukes are very nice and he can become great luthier its more like hobby for him i guess, thats why he isnt known here or anywhere else.
and building time is ~6 months.

Sorry, I thought it was a Pono. I remembered wrong. :)

It is nice that he wrote back to you. Do you want to get one of these Decleer ukes?

looks like he does very nice work!

Seems he really knows what he's doing. I would guess one of the well known luthiers on this forum would charge around $2500 US or more for that uke and take a couple of years to make it. I say if you're really interested, go for it, good price, good time frame.

Bart lives 30 min from here, in Ghent (Belgium).

And he builds instruments as a hobby, although I suspect he did follow some courses (there's Lutherie sur Mesure in Ghent, and the Centre for Musical Instrument Construction in Puurs). He builds without jigs ('molds', if you like) or even plans ('blueprints'), so each one is a one-off, requiring a lot of work.

Bart is also the frontman and songwriter of two bands, Contraband and Wolkman.

Last edited:
I watched Decleers video making his ukulele, detailed workmanship how do I contact him? I'm interested in Baratone and Tenor Ukes. I want to discuss possible match set custom made.

Wow.
Very cool video.
He definitely makes professional grade instruments.
I never really can judge sound based on videos. There are to many variables that can effect the quality of the recording.

Top Bottom