Lew Dite's 4 String Songster Books (Open Tuning Thumb Picking Tabs)

JonThysell

Reaction score
I mostly play Hawaiian slack key on my baritone, tuned DGBd (Open G), but there are only a couple books of material specifically arranged for that style and tuning.

To increase my range I'm always on the lookout for more material, esp. in that open tuning. I just bought Lew Dite's 4 String Songster Books, and it's a wealth of material for open tuning players. Primarily DGBd, but of course you can play the tabs in other keys (Gceg for you Open C players).

The video shows how the songs in the books are presented - you get the lyrics with color-coded fret numbers on above each word for the melody notes in open tuning, as well as the other harmony strings if you want to strum. Some songs also have regular chord sheets if you just want to strum and sing along. It's an interesting system since you're given the chords, lyrics, and melody tabs all in a compact format. I'd say the book is great for intermediate players, and beginners wanting to branch out and expand both their skills and repertoire.

Most of the melody isn't on the high string, so he recommends picking/strumming down with your thumb and using your index for a droning upstroke on that high string. His other YouTube videos demonstrate how that sounds. But since he's given you all of the components, you don't have to play exactly like him - if you're an intermediate player you can easily mix and match and make your own arrangement - maybe strum and sing a verse or chorus, drop into a fingerstyle instrumental, singing with some travis picking, etc. Or if you're just starting out, stick with the simple thumb picking.

Across the two books it's some 114 songs, of which maybe a dozen are in other (non-open) tunings. Mostly traditional/folk tunes.

Looks like he's printing them himself, and he's obviously put a lot of care and hard work in making these. Video description has information on ordering. Paid via PayPal, books took about a week to arrive. I'm very excited and they look like they're going to be a great resource for years to come.

Top Bottom