The wisdom of trying different strings

cpmusic

Reaction score
I've had my Pono MGT for about a year, and although I've been reluctant to admit it, it hasn't thrilled me. It just seemed to be kind of quiet and restrained. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very interesting.

I replaced the stock Ko'olau tenor strings with Aquila tenors, but they didn't make much difference. A short time later I bought an Oscar Schmidt tenor in the Marketplace which has a lovely tone, and I noticed that its clear strings were thinner than the tenors I'd been using on the Pono, so I looked around for thinner tenor sets.

One of the sets I bought was Martin M620 (clear tenor), and they really woke up the Pono, like flipping a switch. The tone is clear and woody, and the uke has plenty of volume now. It's what I've come to expect from a good uke, and now the Pono is getting most of my attention.

I also have some Worth clear tenors which appear to be similar to the Martins in gauge, but the Martins are so pleasing that it'll be a while before I try them.

I've tried a bunch of strings, and found I don't care for Aquila much, they seem brash to me. The fluorocarbons seem more pleasing to me. Like you I changed out my Aquila's that came on my tenor and wow! It came out much fuller and throatier with fluorocarbons. My soprano is a lot louder with D'Addarios Carbons than the Aquila Nylguts and chimes better. I also like the Fremont Black Lines. I tried some Worth Browns as they were supposed to be 'warmer'. I like them but all the fluorocarbons seem pretty alike. I haven't tried other nylon strings which some have recommended, I'm afraid I might like them and it's SAS all over again!

Good to know, I've noticed the same on my MT. Put on some Worth Browns which helped the tone but still pretty quiet.

I didn't notice as strong a difference between strings made of the same material, namely fluorocarbon, but different materials seem to have a huge impact. I just went through this with my baritone, and it too opened my eyes to the importance of finding strings that work well for the specific instrument.

I originally shied away from string experiments in part because changing strings was initially a scary thing, but eventually experience made it a much more trivial aspect.

I didn't notice as strong a difference between strings made of the same material, namely fluorocarbon, but different materials seem to have a huge impact.

In my experience, gauge makes a difference, as well. I'm pretty sure the stock strings on the Pono were clear fluorocarbon, but Martins are much thinner, and that seems to have made a big difference.

I found the same very early with my Pono AT. As soon as I put fluorocarbons on it, it sang. Pono's love FC strings of any kinds. I've tried many and they all work and sound GREAT. I'd like to try the mango deluxe version of ukulele that you have but they don't come up much at HMS. I play at MGT in Vancouver guitar store and it sounded like you described........it was the strings for sure. Pono AT, MT, MGT are great, great ukuleles and VALUE for the money. Very well made and the matt finish brings out a really nice tone !

Mixing string sets can also make a difference. My favorite low G combo is a Fremont low G soloist with PHD 1-3. For re-entrant a Living Waters high G with Oasis Brights 1-3. Sometimes, adding a wound C can also change the character/sound.

This should almost be a sticky.

More ukes have been sold off due to "not having the right sound" before adequate string experimentation took place. The right strings can literally transform an instrument as you have found out.

Glad it worked out for you and you're happy.

Last edited:
I have D'Addario Nyltech on both my daughters' mid-range sopranos, Kala and Anuenue, and they sound great. But on my Kiwaya they were lifeless. After some experiments, I ended up going with D'Addario EJ99sc fluorocarbons, and it finally had the feel and tone I wanted. Totally satisfied now.

You are absolutely correct. It is quite amazing how much different each brand of strings sound on a uke. Not only is tone unique to each brand, but also intonation.

String "rolling" is a given whenever I buy a new uke. I try many brands (all flourocarbon) - mixing strings from different sets, etc, until I find a combination that is magic.

By the way - you mention the Martin M620 strings: those strings are very underrated. I have been pleasantly surprised by how good they sound and feel. They are a regular part of my string rotation - often being the best string for the 1st and 2nd strings on my tenors. And they are inexpensive!!

I felt the same way about my Pono PC, liked it but was never thrilled with it. Half a dozen string changes later, I love it. Still searching for the perfect pair. I hate changing strings, but worth the time searching...

By the way - you mention the Martin M620 strings: those strings are very underrated. I have been pleasantly surprised by how good they sound and feel. They are a regular part of my string rotation - often being the best string for the 1st and 2nd strings on my tenors. And they are inexpensive!!

When I first started playing uke I dismissed Martin strings because their gauges are so thin compared to most other brands. That just seemed odd. But I bought a set of M600 for the first uke I painted because they don't distract visually and are inexpensive, and I was very impressed by how nice a painted Makala sounded with them. I don't know why it took me so long to try their tenor set on my Pono, but I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
When I first started playing uke I dismissed Martin strings because their gauges are so thin compared to most other brands. That just seemed odd. But I bought a set of M600 for the first uke I painted because they don't distract visually and are inexpensive, and I was very impressed by how nice a painted Makala sounded with them. I don't know why it took me so long to try their tenor set on my Pono, but I'm glad I did.

Hmm, I didn't notice them being thinner - at least not the 1st and 2nd strings. However, I agree that they sound great!

Agreed.
My first uke came with strings, have no clue the make back then, this was years ago - basically it was only ʻmehʻ. Hubby wanted to try Aquilas and I chose Kamaka just ʻcuz. I liked the black batter. Big difference. Newer ukes came with similar, good for me, but the set of Worth Clears has finally convinced me that I might be a uke player. Big difference and the Martin FCʻs are ready to try. I canʻt stand the Acquilaʻs that husband likes - at all.

I have had my Pono MGT over a year and a half and had many stings set on there.
My top picks for an MGT.
PHD or the D'addario J71. PHD's rank as my favorites for tension and playability. They are a higher tension string but you don't feel like the strings are biting into you because of the smaller diameter.
Lastly, for low G set-up get a fremont squeak-less with the Fremont blacklines or any string set and it will will turn your mango into a great sounding instrument, IMHO.

I like experimenting with different strings for sound, effect and feel. I changed out the original strings on my Mahogany Concert with some Aquila New Nylguts and liked the improvement in tone and clarity. But I've noticed that the Aquilas on all of my ukes have a tendency to squeak under my picking fingers. I usually wash my hands before playing and I don't have very oily skin which could impact this sensation. I recently switched to D'Addario Titanium and like them much better on the Concert. They don't squeak, They feel smooth under my fretting fingers, and they look great with a clear purple hue. The sound seems to be brighten-up a little over the Aquilas. I'll probably try something different on the Tenors.

Martins are middle guage strings, sweet yet and it gives a bit of volume and brightness
It's about guage thickness, and hardness/softness of compound too. The thicker and softer
Provides a sweeter tone on low tension strings. The thinner guage softer tone may suffer with thinner tone, provide clarity, volume and bight Ness but has better playability.
The higher tension strings provides clarity and brightness but suffer sweetness and playability .
Lower tension strings provide the string to resonate better and therefore giving a sweeter tone.
On some high tension strings you lose the resonating giving it a flatter dead tone.

Last edited:
Coming from playing guitar and especially bass, I tend towards liking thicker gauge strings. Any recommendations for not-so-thin all-unwound sets? Playing a Gretsch soprano currently running Nylguts and no plans on changing those at the.moment, but would like to try some thicker gauge sets for a low G concert and a linear DGBE baritone. Again, prefer non wound all the way.

Someone here recently stated flouros are typically thicker than nylon, but I may be remembering that backwards.

With guitar and bass I was often really surprised at how much different strings affected overall sound.

I discovered the same things with picks on mandolin and electric and acoustic guitars. Bass as well but I only played bass with a pick about 50% of the time.

I realize any little change will make a difference, but once I started really paying attention I was surprised how profound a difference a little thing like a pick could have.

I put Aquila reds on everything I have. All others feel weird now.

Top Bottom