Kiwaya. So close yet so far away.

Ukettante

Reaction score
I just returned from a six-day vacation in Tokyo. The apartment I rented for my stay with my family was, according to Google Map, a mere 15-minute walk away from the Tokyo shop of Kiwaya, where I heard there is a ukelele museum on the second floor.

Alas, I didn't get to go. I got two toddlers in tow and a family-oriented itinerary to follow. And even if I had gone, the munchkins wouldn't have remained in their stroller long enough for me to enjoy browsing the shop or the museum.

Next time! Next time! I promised myself, when the kids are older.

Oh man, I can relate. I'm in an airplane holding pattern for uke things I want to do, having a toddler myself. When he's a bit older and just that bit more independent, like out of the car seat.. For now, I focus on the positives, like his own toy uke that he likes to bang around on while I play.

Next time indeed, plus by then your kids will remember the Kiwaya factory when they're older.

mahalo's do have their place. just don't ever let them watch this episode of madeline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfUt4x-vY48

at 12:20 the "bad kids" cut the strings on a guitar with a scissors. My son saw that video and you can guess what happened later...

I feel for ya. having kids is about making sacrifices....

I love my ukes, but always find more joy in my kids. Thank goodness they play uke! I'd be happy for a trip to Tokyo.

Something to look forward to on a later visit!!!

There are many people, with and without kids, who never get a vacation, much less an apartment to rent while there. Count your blessings, munchkins among them!

Yes, Trader Todd. The sound of my children's ringing laughter beats the sound of my ukulele hands down. :)

My brother just returned from a two-week vacation to Japan. He said he loved it there. I didn't ask him to buy me a Famous/Kiwaya Concert, although I can't say that I was very tempted to....

Top Bottom