PDA

View Full Version : Kiwaya. So close yet so far away.

Ukettante
06-15-2016, 08:12 PM
I just returned from a six-day vacation in Tokyo. The apartment I rented for my stay with my family was, according to Google Map, a mere 15-minute walk away from the Tokyo shop of Kiwaya, where I heard there is a ukelele museum on the second floor.

Alas, I didn't get to go. I got two toddlers in tow and a family-oriented itinerary to follow. And even if I had gone, the munchkins wouldn't have remained in their stroller long enough for me to enjoy browsing the shop or the museum.

Next time! Next time! I promised myself, when the kids are older.

bonesoup
06-16-2016, 02:57 AM
Oh man, I can relate. I'm in an airplane holding pattern for uke things I want to do, having a toddler myself. When he's a bit older and just that bit more independent, like out of the car seat.. For now, I focus on the positives, like his own toy uke that he likes to bang around on while I play.

Next time indeed, plus by then your kids will remember the Kiwaya factory when they're older.

bnolsen
06-16-2016, 04:50 AM
mahalo's do have their place. just don't ever let them watch this episode of madeline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfUt4x-vY48

at 12:20 the "bad kids" cut the strings on a guitar with a scissors. My son saw that video and you can guess what happened later...

Nickie
06-16-2016, 04:58 AM
I feel for ya. having kids is about making sacrifices....

Trader Todd
06-16-2016, 05:45 AM
I love my ukes, but always find more joy in my kids. Thank goodness they play uke! I'd be happy for a trip to Tokyo.

Ukejenny
06-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Something to look forward to on a later visit!!!

2manistrings
06-16-2016, 03:11 PM
There are many people, with and without kids, who never get a vacation, much less an apartment to rent while there. Count your blessings, munchkins among them!

Ukettante
06-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Yes, Trader Todd. The sound of my children's ringing laughter beats the sound of my ukulele hands down. :)

igorthebarbarian
06-16-2016, 06:57 PM
My brother just returned from a two-week vacation to Japan. He said he loved it there. I didn't ask him to buy me a Famous/Kiwaya Concert, although I can't say that I was very tempted to....