Yes, another string thread...

scooterguitar

Reaction score
Seems to be a common ?, warmer toned strings...and the answer is usually flourocarbon, which after trying a few brands, they are warmer, but lack the snap I like.
I swapped the stock Koalohas for Aquila and it became much better to my ear. Tried another set of flouros, nope once again. So no more flourcarbons for me, at least for now. I think part of it comes from guitar background and always using heavier gauge strings for "thicker" tones.

Now to Kamaka black strings, they sound "just ok" to my ears and feel seemingly flexy compared to the Aquilas.
SO my first real ? is, what is your take on the Kamaka strings, I've read similar to how I feel, but still curious.

I am going to try other non-flouro strings, specifically Kala Red and Koolau 9But my Koolau set has the wound g which I assume is low G???)

Gonna order up the DAddarios and want to put together a set of those Savarez, but hate to order just a few sets of strings from JustStrings.

Any other suggestions, comments, rants, or raves?:nana:

Kamaka strings are decent. Definitely on the thin, flexible side (like Hilos). Most Kamaka players swap strings for something with more volume and projection, though.

Ko'olau Golds are warm and mellow. Warmer than fluorocarbon strings, and a little heavier. But yeah, the wound G is a low G.

The D'Addarios are going to feel absolutely massive compared to the KoAlohas (aren't they made by Worth?) and even the Aquilas, and it might take some additional modification to get them to seat properly in the bridge and nut if your uke isn't made for very thick strings.

Is it bad that I still have the GHS strings on my Kala LOL

Thank you. Maybe try the Koolau golds and swap out the low g, then still getting into finding a good match I guess.

In all actuality, I'll likley go back to the Aquila, the tension and size feel right to me, but now I'm intrigued by the massive comment:>) Same thing on electric guitars, most common or 009 or 0010 guage, I used to put custom sets together that started at 14, but not these days; my old fingers hurt too much! You just never know when a "right" match might take a blamket off of an instrument though!

Per the nut and saddle work, I'm fine doing it but would hate to mod them, only to switch back ya know.

Top Bottom