Making the frets and fingerboard look like new :cool:

Doc_J

Reaction score
Decided today was the day to finally replace the strings on my Compass Rose. I'm embarrassed to say how long the last set of Oasis Brights -low g was on this uke (let's just say more than a year ... or two :eek: ). While they still had decent tone and perfect intonation, the uke wasn't sounding as loud, crisp, or resonant as it should be.

With the strings off, it was clear the fretboard needed some attention too. The frets had some tarnish and string lines on them. The fretboard was thirsty and show where my fingers had been. It was looking well used. So, pulled out the 0000 steel wool and Howard's Feed 'N Wax. I even treated the bridge while I was at it. Then used paper towels to remove any excess or steel fibers, and to clean both sided of each fret. That did the trick making the frets and fingerboard look like new. :cool:
And it sound better too.

Here's the visual results:
P1070788.jpgP1070790.jpgP1070793.jpg

Nice job Hodge............looks great. My CR can use a good cleaning also. Mind if I drop it off on my way up to Rabun County?:eek: Didn't think so! By the way, what you string it with?

Good job! I think it's important to clean my fretboards at every string change. I sure get off a lot of crud, lord only knows where it comes from, I wash my hands before I play! The unfinished wood does dry out, and the frets tarnish. A good cleaning can give your uke a new lease on life! I think it plays better too.

Nice job Hodge............looks great. My CR can use a good cleaning also. Mind if I drop it off on my way up to Rabun County?:eek: Didn't think so! By the way, what you string it with?

I put another set of Oasis Brights, low g, on it. They work well for me on this uke.
And you're welcome to drop off your CR for fretboard conditioning. :)

I put another set of Oasis Brights, low g, on it. They work well for me on this uke.
And you're welcome to drop off your CR for fretboard conditioning. :)

You could open a uke clinic. "Doc J's fretboard treatment and rehabilition center"

It looks great Hodge, so does the grain on the sound board on your Compass Rose. That is a cherry wood if memory serves me right isn't it?

You could open a uke clinic. "Doc J's fretboard treatment and rehabilition center"

It looks great Hodge, so does the grain on the sound board on your Compass Rose. That is a cherry wood if memory serves me right isn't it?

Yes, Dave, you've got a memory. That is flamed cherry wood. Sounds as good as it looks. :)

Top Bottom