On a roll- 2nd Uke on the way

etudes

Reaction score
Started playing Uke this year after playing guitars for years. Hard to describe the experience. I'm definitely smitten with the instrument and the UU community has been a key part. Last fall I was plotting to grow my guitar collection with a Gibson J-45 (played many of them) Never found "the one". Fast forward to late winter, acquired a Pono Tenor (Cedar/rosewood) which far exceeded my expectations. What is it about Ukes? Now with a Koaloha long neck soprano on its way you could say I didn't see all this coming.

Aloha! Tim

Welcome to the addiction! ;-)

In the first year I played uke, I went through sixteen, then paired them down to four. After over two years, I actually bought one more a few weeks ago. In the last 18 months of playing bass uke, I'm up to ten. I like having UAS.

I think experiencing different ukuleles helps with learning what we prefer, so UAS is probably part of the journey.

I have nine so far, and in retrospect the only thing I'd do differently now is to try all sizes before getting multiples of the same size. My most recent purchase was a baritone uke, which I never thought I'd try, and I'm having a great time with it. I could see myself just playing that baritone plus one of my small ones, though I have bonded with various of my ukes, so five of them I'd have a difficult time parting with.

My actual problem isn't UAS, but letting go of those that I don't really need or play. :)

Last edited:
I think experiencing different ukuleles helps with learning what we prefer, so UAS is probably part of the journey.

I have nine so far, and in retrospect the only thing I'd do differently now is to try all sizes before getting multiples of the same size. My most recent purchase was a baritone uke, which I never thought I'd try, and I'm having a great time with it. I could see myself just playing that baritone plus one of my small ones (the KoAloha LN pineapple soprano would be strong candidate, which would leave me with two ugly duckling sizes), though I have bonded with various of my ukes, so five of them I'd have a difficult time parting with.

My actual problem isn't UAS, but letting go of those that I don't really need or play. :)
Letting go of stuff is actually a good feeling ;), try it. I regulary try to downsize and clean out my stuff, otherwise it just keeps building up!

That said, my 5th uke will be with me this week :D!

I'm usually pretty good with letting stuff go, except when it comes to ukuleles and books. :) I think the core, at least in regard to ukuleles, is the fear of making the wrong decision and later wanting one of them (or one like them) back, which would either be impossible or costly.

But my average is only three ukes per year, and there is currently no strong desire for anything, so I hope the worst is over. ;) (Although I am considering the solid Pono electric baritone as I lately find myself getting up at 4am, and that is too early in the day to practice on the acoustic instrument.)

Good advice about trying all sizes early on. I'm excited and a little nervous to try the soprano (I thought concert was going to be as small as I would go)- hopefully me and the KSM-02 can get along well. I love the idea of having enough Ukes to spread around, maybe loan out and try to get others on board. Need to explore some of the great ukes in the lower dollar range going forward. I saw some Ohana's on Mims site that looked intriguing. There I go- haven't received the 2nd one and already plotting the third..and beyond. Cheers

Hello etudes! Haven't been playing uke very long either and Pono was my first too! No messing around, went right for a good one! Didn't take long for me to decide I "needed" a few more, for various reasons. One for the office, one for the car, a concert because I didn't have that size, a little solid hog soprano because it's the classic, right?

It's all good fun, and as has been said, it's helping me figure out what I like!

Happy playing! And collecting!

Need to explore some of the great ukes in the lower dollar range going forward. I saw some Ohana's on Mims site that looked intriguing. There I go- haven't received the 2nd one and already plotting the third..and beyond. Cheers

Isn't it weird? We buy a higher-end instrument, and then we start wondering about lower-priced ones. :) I think part of that is a desire to have something that requires less care and where bumping it against the table isn't the end of the world. I've caught myself thinking about a $200-300 backup baritone, but in a way it also feels pointless because I have one that cost about a grand and that is a great player, so why not just use it? If it gets scratched, so what, it'll still sound and play the same. (Talking to myself here!)

An electric one I could more easily justify so I can practice in the off hours, though realistically there are other things I could do instead (work on rhythm with just a metronome/headphones, transcribe tabs to notation or vice versa, learn music theory, watch videos, etc.)

Thanks Ohio! You have a great collection.

Hello etudes! Haven't been playing uke very long either and Pono was my first too! No messing around, went right for a good one! Didn't take long for me to decide I "needed" a few more, for various reasons. One for the office, one for the car, a concert because I didn't have that size, a little solid hog soprano because it's the classic, right?

It's all good fun, and as has been said, it's helping me figure out what I like!

Happy playing! And collecting!

Top Bottom