PDA

View Full Version : Shiny to satin

philrab66
06-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Hi all
My Uke used to have a satin finish but over the years I have regrettably used a cloth and spray polish. I now want to take it back to satin.How do I get it back to satin.
Thanks Phil.

Allen
06-18-2016, 11:31 AM
You haven't said what the finish is, but with most finishes you would be able to use 0000 grade steel wool (super fine) and burnish it up. Perhaps a bit of hard paste wax on the steel wool as you do this.

philrab66
06-18-2016, 11:38 AM
You haven't said what the finish is, but with most finishes you would be able to use 0000 grade steel wool (super fine) and burnish it up. Perhaps a bit of hard paste wax on the steel wool as you do this.

Sorry it was a satin finish to start with. Wont the paste wax make it shiny again?

mikeyb2
06-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Although I've not got a great deal of experience with finishing, I have found that using a wax with the 0000 wool evens it out, whereas 0000 wool alone can give an uneven patchy look if not done properly. The wax does shine up a bit, but it's a compromise. Experiment and see what you think. Incidentally, i used Renaissance Wax and 0000 wool to finish my first ( and only uke build to date), which resulted in a silky finish.

BlackBearUkes
06-18-2016, 04:03 PM
There is a product called "Wool Lube" made by Behlen I believe. When used on nitro lacquer that has been sanded back with 600 grit wet and dry, it gives a smooth stain, silky finish which is what I prefer to high gloss. Just dip the 0000 steel wool into the lube and rub with the grain and wipe clean with flannel and you're done.