Straps!

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Now that I have a strap button installed, I need a strap!

I see that there are lots of options, so thought I'd ask for suggestions. I'll be using one strap button, and the other end tied to the head stock.

Is there a difference in comfort between different widths of straps? different materials?

Comfort is a major concern, but nice looking gets extra points.

These look nice:
http://www.cheemaisel.com/signature-strings/straps

Has anyone tried them? They're 1 1/5 inches wide. I have no idea if that sounds comfortable, so I'm looking forward to any and all ideas.

Those look nice to me. They are probably a little more costly than others you can buy for China, but these straps are made by someone active in the "Ukulele Culture" and a professional musician. I think the 1.5 inch width is perfect for a uke strap. Very nice designs and quality materials by Sarah Maisel.

My friend, who is a guitar player, gave me a two inch Ernie Ball strap a couple of years ago, red in color. I like it just fine. It couldn't have cost him more than ten bucks, if he paid for it at all. Someone might have given it to him. Just saying, it works great. You are holding up a ukulele, a strap is a strap.

You are holding up a ukulele, a strap is a strap.

True, but it's fun to look at the options, and I do wonder about the comfort factor. Some most likely are more comfortable than others.

I have a hard time picking out dog collars, too, even though my dogs don't care what they look like. :)

Those look nice to me. They are probably a little more costly than others you can buy for China, but these straps are made by someone active in the "Ukulele Culture" and a professional musician. I think the 1.5 inch width is perfect for a uke strap. Very nice designs and quality materials by Sarah Maisel.

They are pricey, but I do like the idea of supporting a "name" in the ukulele community. They look well made, and maybe it comes with good ukulele mojo.

These look nice:

Has anyone tried them? They're 1 1/5 inches wide. I have no idea if that sounds comfortable, so I'm looking forward to any and all ideas.

I have two of Sarah's straps. They're very comfortable and the shoulder pad is a nice touch for comfort.

If you belong to an ukulele group, observe what other people use as straps. Ask people with ukuleles that have straps if you can try on their ukes/straps to see what they feel like. I find that 1" is a little too thin and 2" is a little too wide, so my straps are 1-1/2". Your mileage may vary.

See my post on "Uke Straps". :eek:ld:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?121126-Uke-Straps

Last edited:
True, but it's fun to look at the options, and I do wonder about the comfort factor. Some most likely are more comfortable than others.

I have a hard time picking out dog collars, too, even though my dogs don't care what they look like. :)
Okay, then by all means, go nuts over uke straps if that is what you enjoy doing. That is why there is such a wide variety of them out there to buy. I know that a lot of people get into their straps, and it is fun for them. I'm just someone who goes for simple and cheap, and that is why I posted what I did. :D

Additional question:
Is it OK to leave a strap on the ukulele, or should it be removed before putting back in the case? (Sounds lazy, but if I get 5 minutes to play, I don't want to waste the time putting the strap on and taking it off again.)

It's better to leave the strap on whenever possible. Putting it on & off tends to stretch the attachment hole.

Now that I have a strap button installed, I need a strap!

I see that there are lots of options, so thought I'd ask for suggestions. I'll be using one strap button, and the other end tied to the head stock.

Is there a difference in comfort between different widths of straps? different materials?

Comfort is a major concern, but nice looking gets extra points.

These look nice:

Those do look nice, and the price is decent too. Good to know, thanks for the link.

I've tried thin straps, leather straps, poly straps, fabric straps, thick straps, thin straps... And there are pros and cons to all but I've settled on these. Unfortunately the price has nearly doubled since I bought mine several years ago, so - be warned, they aren't cheap. But they are renewable (hemp) and made in USA and really well-crafted, so if that sort of thing matters, there's that.

When I first began using a strap I used Levy's Leathers thin mandolin straps. They were fine, but the leather caused irritation when it touched my skin so I started to try other materials. Poly/synthetics were also problematic for my sensitive skin - hemp or cotton seemed to be the best for me. I used these cotton ones from Legacy Straps for a while but the 2" width seemed overkill on a soprano or concert uke. Not problematic from a functional POV, just a bit comical... which led me to the search for an in-between, just-right strap, which is the first one I linked. I have one of those on each of my 3 ukes and they've held up really well despite all of my abuse :)

Additional question:
Is it OK to leave a strap on the ukulele, or should it be removed before putting back in the case? (Sounds lazy, but if I get 5 minutes to play, I don't want to waste the time putting the strap on and taking it off again.)

You're probably going to get some divided answers about this :) I leave mine on and have been doing so for 7+ years with no problems. Some people might tell you that the dye or chemicals in the leather might damage the finish of your uke. Possible, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

I'm going to throw in a plug for this ebay.co.uk seller.

@ the OP: I'm guessing you're probably not in the uk but it looks like she posts worldwide. I saw you mentioned dog collars - she does straps and collars (sounds a bit dodgy :p) so I thought you might be interested in taking a look. Some of the designs are pretty funky - maybe a bit too much so for some tastes. I have a red velvet one that I bought from her and I really like it :)

I admit to being a frugal S.O.B., and as such use a 72cm black round nylon-threaded (like paracord) bootlace for a strap. Can be had at the local grocery store for $2 for a pair of laces, so each strap costs $1.

Also, with most of my ukes being less than a pound in weight, including the baritones, having a big fat strap is like using Duct tape to cover a paper-cut to me. i.e., overkill.

I tie one end of the bootlace to the headstock behind the nut, and the other end is looped around the endpin with a slipknot to take up the slack and for adjustment, and has never slipped off, nor required removal if/when the uke goes in the case. The bootlace strap just lays anywhere in the case.

ALSO, it is very comfortable to me to have such a minimal strap, I barely even notice wearing one.

All of it is easy-peasy, and cheaply replaceable at a local B&M store if/when it wears out in 20 yrs from now....

[EDITED to add]: Had I not been happy with the bootlace for a strap, I'd be looking at getting one of fellow UU sister Lori's Uke Leash straps for each uke (which were on sale for the anniversary - not sure if they still are), with the guitar endpin adapter piece and wear it like a 'full strap' as opposed to a half strap, since all my ukes have endpins or endpin jacks now.

Last edited:
I'm going to throw in a plug for this ebay.co.uk seller.

@ the OP: I'm guessing you're probably not in the uk but it looks like she posts worldwide. I saw you mentioned dog collars - she does straps and collars (sounds a bit dodgy :p) so I thought you might be interested in taking a look. Some of the designs are pretty funky - maybe a bit too much so for some tastes. I have a red velvet one that I bought from her and I really like it :)

They look nice. And if she does dog collars, I'll have to look at those too. One needs replacing in the near future. I am in the US, but that just means it would take longer to get here.

Lots of options!

I admit to being a frugal S.O.B., and as such use a 72cm black round nylon-threaded (like paracord) bootlace for a strap. Can be had at the local grocery store for $2 for a pair of laces, so each strap costs $1.

Nothing wrong with being frugal. I have a birthday coming up, and thought I'd find something that I could put on my wish list. I'd put a Moore Bettah on my wish list, but thought instead I'd try for something that I might actually get. :)

I've tried thin straps, leather straps, poly straps, fabric straps, thick straps, thin straps... And there are pros and cons to all but I've settled on these.

Someone else has been through the strap quandary!

The straps that you linked to do look nice! Expensive, but if it holds up well, which it sounds like it does, maybe that makes up for it.

Lots of options to browse through!

I think you've made a good case for the 1 1/2 inch strap, too.

I bought a couple of old green neckties from the goodwill if I ever find I need a strap. My 20's banjolele has such a tiny pot it needs a strap to play. Old crappy belt that comes free with my wrangler cargo pants. Sewing some Velcro to the ends I can now use that as a strap for the small pot and not tie anything to the banjolele. I could even connect the ends in a morbius strip configuration. No patent infringement meant.

~AL~

Top Bottom