Led Kaapana at Chuck Moore's house

Fran Guidry

Reaction score
Led and his wife took us around his end of Hawai`i Island and it goes without saying that we had a stupendous time. One of the high points was a visit to Chuck Moore's home - a place as lovely and unique and handmade as his instruments.

We had cameras and guitars with us, so we started playing a little slack key when I asked Chuck if he had an `ukulele that Led might play. Chuck came out with his "shop uke," a slot head of milo and spruce. Led took off on "Na Lei O Hawai`i" and I tried to keep up.

Fran

Fran, I've had the great pleasure of seeing you and Led perform together in the Bay Area, and I've also had the great pleasure of visiting Chuck and Bonnie in their wonderful home. I can't imagine how great it would be to have done both at the same time, but this video gives me some idea. This video is delightful! (And I have to admit that, with all respect to the version of this song that appears in "It's a Wonderful Life," I like this version more. :) ) Mahalo nui loa for sharing it.

Last edited:
So I'm working in my shop and suddenly I look up and there's Led! Fran then jumps out of the van pulling out guitars and all kind of recording gear. Suddenly I got a private concert at my house! Totally unexpected. If I had planned something like this it wouldn't have happened. It was awesome and I am so blessed to know such terrific people.

Thanks so much for sharing. That was really awesome!

Sweet! Made me feel I was right there sitting on Chuck's lanai listening to you guys play..sigh...

Thanks a lot for sharing this Fran! Saw you sit in with Led last night at Honey's; your accompaniment was so tasteful. Unfortunately, I didn't get you, but I got Led playing his Moore Bettah on Chicken in the Straw and the dueling train whistles version of Ka`a Ahi Kahului. Mahalos!

Thanks a lot for sharing this Fran! Saw you sit in with Led last night at Honey's; your accompaniment was so tasteful. Unfortunately, I didn't get you, but I got Led playing his Moore Bettah on Chicken in the Straw and the dueling train whistles version of Ka`a Ahi Kahului. Mahalos!

wow Greg you everywhere....must of been a good show at Honey's.....did Stan make it too?

Thanks Fran for the video....looks like fun!!

Fran, I've had the great pleasure of seeing you and Led perform together in the Bay Area, and I've also had the great pleasure of visiting Chuck and Bonnie in their wonderful home. I can't imagine how great it would be to have done both at the same time, but this video gives me some idea. This video is delightful! (And I have to admit that, with all respect to the version of this song that appears in "It's a Wonderful Life," I like this version more. :) ) Mahalo nui loa for sharing it.

You're so kind, thanks a lot.

Fran

So I'm working in my shop and suddenly I look up and there's Led! Fran then jumps out of the van pulling out guitars and all kind of recording gear. Suddenly I got a private concert at my house! Totally unexpected. If I had planned something like this it wouldn't have happened. It was awesome and I am so blessed to know such terrific people.

I have to say that Led has been through _plenty_ ukes since I've known him and even more before that, but since he got his Moore Bettah uke he put all the others in storage.

I need to add that your and Bonnie's hospitality was so gracious. And Lynn wore her new Bonnie Moore jewelry to Honey's the other night.

Fran

Last edited:

Those are some fantastic clips, I was thinking I was missing out a lot by not bringing my cameras. Having Alan Akaka stop by really kicked it over the top, how often do we get to see a train whistle duel??

Fran

Top Bottom