NUD Lanikai LU-21CE/BK

UkeStuff

Reaction score
A Lanikai LU-21CE/BK popped up on Craigslist for $100, and I e-mailed and offered $70 upon inspection. I am now the proud owner of that instrument, and will likely have to get rid of my previous Craigslist find, a entry level Córdoba Concert (paid $60) to avoid the comments from my wife about the growing ukulele collection (her family is in town and her 11 year old cousin picked up the ukulele last year and I might just give it to her as a gift).

My "best" uke is my Lanikai UkeSB Tenor Spruce/Koa, and I really like my Tenor Outdoor Ukulele. This LU-21 CE/BK black ukulele appealed to me based on looks alone, and my previous experience with the Lanikai UkeSB. In truth, it doesn't sound as nice as the Córdoba, but it does have electronics (no tuner) amd also came with a (non-Lanikai) gig bag.

One quick question...is it possible to swap out the existing elections with a newer Fishman unit that would also have a built in tuner? Are they all the same size? And if so, where could you order just the electronics?

Thanks!

P.S. I'll try to post photos later.

I'd personally leave the Fishman alone and use a headstock tuner.

I like the Fishman that came with the UkeSB; but also might try the D'Addario sound hole tuner. It is nice to be able to tune without having to clip on the tuner.

The best thing you can do with an electric like that is throw out the existing undersaddle piezo unit and replace it with this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piezo-Pickup-ARTEC-PP404U-for-Ukulele-PREMIUM-QUALITY-/331610291574

The preamp is usable, but the piezo they use on them is quite poor (unpleasant quacky sound, string unbalance, etc).
Plugging an Artec into the Belcat UK-2000 will allow it to be on par with higher end electronics. In my opinion, it will even outperform the Fishman, having owned both pickups before.

It's quite easy to unplug the existing one, and plugging in the new one (you need to undo the strings and remove the saddle).

As for putting a built-in tuner in that thing - it won't be worth it. The cost and effort will easily outvalue the ukulele (unless you buy a really cheapo unit which will be poor quality anyway)
A great quality clip-on tuner like the Snark is best.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do with an electric like that is throw out the existing undersaddle piezo unit and replace it with this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piezo-Pickup-ARTEC-PP404U-for-Ukulele-PREMIUM-QUALITY-/331610291574

It's been a while, and I have been distracted by some other ukuleles. But the LU21-CE has an occasional electronics buzz. So I ordered this other pickup, and we'll see what I can do to install it. I know there are lots of videos out there.

I really like that little instrument...not as much as my Opio, UkeSB, or Outdoor...but I still like it.

It turns out they have a newer version of this with Fishman electronics (not worth buying as this was only $70), and they even made a tenor version of it (with Fishman electronics). That said, the tenor version cut some corners, and the Lanikai brand on the headstock was a post-finishing decal (not true of the older Black Concert, and certainly not true of the UkeSB that I own).

So...I ordered this today. Thank you for the recommendation. I still like the built-in tuner of the UkeSB on the Fishman, but that is completely an issue of preference and pragmatism.

I think what appeals to me is the gloss black.

Congrats! A friend has that uke, and she loves it!

Top Bottom