Fancy strumming and a little stage presence.

Rllink

Reaction score
So I attended some Lil' Rev workshops earlier in the month and learned Triplets, tremolos, and four finger rolls. Then there was a fan strum and a zig zag strum that he just demonstrated for the workshop, but that are in his book. They are a lot of fun to learn as well. He also talked about presentation during his workshops, not specifically, but he threw out some things that I had not really thought about and I took notice of. It also got me paying more attention to how he presented himself as he taught, and his performance on the stage as well. Since then I've been working on them, the strums and the presentation, trying to add a little flair to my ukulele playing. It is getting to be a lot of fun.

I've also been watching some videos of some really good performances, and the really good performers don't just play, they put on a show. I mean, if you really watch them, half of it is their playing skill, and the other half is flair. So I've been working on that aspect of it lately. I'm saying that presentation is a part of the package. It is something I think ukulele players should consider when the practice.

Last edited:
Lots of Lil' Rev fans here. Ralph Shaw is another who specializes in the subject.

Do shaking hands and chattering teeth and sweat dripping from every pore count for stage presence? Yes? Then I'm good. :eek:ld:

Hahahahaha! I think we can all relate to that, Dick! But yes, I definitely think Rllink has a good observation about stage presence. Just the other day, I was working on a homemade version of "In The Mood", and decided to see how it looked in the mirror when I played it. I found that it made a huge difference in the way things came across if I simply rocked back and forth to the beat a little bit as I played (not anything wild, but just enough that an audience would be able to see the motion), rather than just standing stone-still (which is my normal tendency). If you look like you're having fun, it's more likely that the audience will have fun too!

Top Bottom