PDA

View Full Version : Did All That Humidification Work?

Down Up Dick
06-20-2016, 06:52 AM
Well, today's the first day of summer. Did anyone's Ukes suffer drying out warps or cracks or splits or seam lifts? Did all that humidification keep everyone's ukuleles safe and sound? Does it still have to be done during the summer?

I'm just wondering if all those anti-drying out threads worked--did they? :old:

Mivo
06-20-2016, 06:58 AM
I haven't used humidification with my ukuleles. None have cracked so far. :) I do monitor humidity in the room where they live, though, and if it got too dry, I'd throw in a humidifier. But I live in a rural area of Germany in a house that is surrounded by lots of greenery of all sorts, and I water the potted plants in the ukulele room.

Humidity is usually around 50-60% in the room, slightly lower in the winter. If I used a humidifier in summer, I'd worry about mold in the cases. (The other week humidity spiked at 70% after a storm.)

hmgberg
06-20-2016, 07:02 AM
I live in Maine. The RH inside can go down to the 20s in the winter (with the heat on) and over 90 in the summer. I humidify and dehumidify, trying to keep everything at 50% year round. It's a process, but worth it to me as I worry about these things. No problems thus far. Thanks for asking!

cml
06-20-2016, 07:15 AM
Yes, my ukes survived winter and are hanging on the wall since the beginning of May. I dont want to take them down for winter, it makes me feel good to see them above my computer :(...but anyway, that's a problem for an other day!

Woho for summer :)!

UkerDanno
06-20-2016, 07:24 AM
Summer's just as dry as winter in Arizona, humidify all the time.

mikelz777
06-20-2016, 07:30 AM
Mine made it safely through the winter and even during the driest of times in the house, didn't drop below 40% humidity. Now my Oasis humidifiers are shriveled up and dry (is it OK to let them do that?) but the current humidity level in the house is at 49% so I don't have to worry about humidifiers again until winter/heating months.

M3Ukulele
06-20-2016, 08:38 AM
Humidity in winter is BC can get down to <20% and with central heating in winter and air conditioning in summer....... its a MUST IMHO. I humidify three tenors and have been using Oasis with great success. You need to "feed and water" your ukuleles weekly but that's fine and give you and excuse to pull some out that perhaps you haven't played for a while and take it for a spin. Last winter I took January and went for a month holiday and was worried about the two solid wood ukulele I was leaving behind. I purchase to of the Planet Waves ( DAddario ) two way humidification system. Basically three humidipack in pouches which maintain the case/ukulele inside it at about 45-50%. I must say they work great and now I keep them in all my ukuleles and even have Oasis is sound hole. I would NOT be without the both.

A small trick I picked up from a member's post on line a UU forum was after the humidipacks start to dry out, pull them from the pouches and put them inside a tupper ware container with a lid on it. Put a smaller tupper way container inside the bigger one, put a couple of inches of water in the bottom and leave the humidipacks in there for a week or so. They actually re charge themselves. I'm on my second or third re charge just by using this trick. Great system.

DownUpDave
06-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Mine made it safely through the winter and even during the driest of times in the house, didn't drop below 40% humidity. Now my Oasis humidifiers are shriveled up and dry (is it OK to let them do that?) but the current humidity level in the house is at 49% so I don't have to worry about humidifiers again until winter/heating months.

Once I take all the humdifers out of the ukes for the summer I fill them up then put them in a ziplock bag. They stay full for months and I keep the bags on my shop bench, a quick glance every now and then confirms they are still full.

I have hygrometers around the house to monitor the humidity levels and this winter it did not get below 40% so everything came through just fine. I actually kept three solid wood instruments out on stands all winter this year with no issues. It sure is fun to just walk up grab one and start playing.

Rllink
06-20-2016, 09:47 AM
I threw my Oasis humidifier in the sound hole of my uke and shut the case for whatever time we were in the states and running the furnace this winter. So my ukulele didn't crack, separate, or warp. I didn't put multiple humidifiers in strategically located places throughout the case though. But did it not crack because I stuck that Oasis humidifier in there? We'll never know. My question, did anyone have their ukulele crack, separate, or warp this winter despite keeping them humidified?

wayfarer75
06-20-2016, 09:47 AM
My ukes came through great; but this winter wasn't very cold, especially compared to the previous two.

bearbike137
06-20-2016, 09:55 AM
My home studio has a hygrometer to measure the humidity. I keep both a humidifier and dehumidifier in there and i let them battle it out. But here in Chicago it is definitely dehumidifier season right now.

actadh
06-20-2016, 12:58 PM
Muggy West Virginia summers mean I am less stringent in checking all the cases.

kohanmike
06-20-2016, 08:38 PM
I converted a bookshelf into a humidity controlled display case. Sealed all the inside edges with weather stripping tape, had plexiglass doors made, use two trays on the bottom shelf with covers that I slide to control the humidity using a digital and an analog hygrometer. It stays between 43% and 57% humidity all the times. I was prompted to do it a couple of years ago when here in Los Angeles the humidity went down to about 10% and my monkey pod Lanikai cracked from the bridge to the tail.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/1 Shelf.jpg

cml
06-20-2016, 10:35 PM
We are actually in winter here in Perth, Australia. It is raining and going down to 8 degrees (C) at night and only 17 degrees in the days, very cold and wet. Its so cold I have had to find a jumper and wear shoes all the time. Humidity is not an issue at the moment, unless the instrument is in the lounge room in front of the fire or the heater.
Poor you ;)...add a minus before 17 and you have Swedish winter temperature. That might require a sweater!:)

bonesoup
06-21-2016, 02:24 AM
Winter here means desert season. My custom concert is doing its second time through, and thanks to my Oasis, it's thriving. That humidification works.

My 0XK, I just leave it out all the time. Despite the braces being wood, nothing has happened in multiple desert seasons so far!

vinceherman
06-21-2016, 04:13 AM
I purchased a used curio cabinet to house and display my ukes. Hygrometer gets check (mostly) daily. A bowl of water is my humidifier. I have 2 older instruments that I want to protect. The others are just there for show.

Down Up Dick
06-21-2016, 06:31 AM
I purchased a used curio cabinet to house and display my ukes. Hygrometer gets check (mostly) daily. A bowl of water is my humidifier. I have 2 older instruments that I want to protect. The others are just there for show.

Wow, that's great! I really like it a lot--well done! :cheers: :old:

Joyful Uke
06-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Winter is over here, and the Oasis humidifier, (along with room humidifiers, to keep the living beings comfortable, too), are not needed now. What is the best thing to do with the Oasis humidifier for the non-use time? The shriveled up humidifier is still in the case, but I don't know if it needs other care for the non-use season.

Down Up Dick
06-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Winter is over here, and the Oasis humidifier, (along with room humidifiers, to keep the living beings comfortable, too), are not needed now. What is the best thing to do with the Oasis humidifier for the non-use time? The shriveled up humidifier is still in the case, but I don't know if it needs other care for the non-use season.

Check out post #8 (DownUpDave) on this thread. It'll give you the perzact answer. :old:

Joyful Uke
06-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Check out post #8 (DownUpDave) on this thread. It'll give you the perzact answer. :old:

Is there an explanation of why you need to keep them in a baggie full of water when not in use?
I guess I don't understand how they work? (Didn't think it would be that complex, but there must be something more to it than add water when using, and off you go.)

mikelz777
06-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Is there an explanation of why you need to keep them in a baggie full of water when not in use?
I guess I don't understand how they work? (Didn't think it would be that complex, but there must be something more to it than add water when using, and off you go.)

You wouldn't keep them in a baggie full of water. You'd fill the Oasis humidifier as you normally would when using them to humidify but for storage purposes during the season(s) you are not using them to humidify, you put them in a sealed plastic bag. The sealed plastic bag apparently keeps them from drying out and shriveling up. I guess that procedure would allay the fears for those of us who worry that leaving the Oasis humidifier to dry out and shrivel up for months at a time might be bad for it and/or damage it. I think I'll give it a go.

Down Up Dick
06-21-2016, 10:41 AM

I think his post was pretty much easy to understand. I don't even humidify my Ukes, yet I understood it. :old:

Joyful Uke
06-21-2016, 01:26 PM
I think his post was pretty much easy to understand. I don't even humidify my Ukes, yet I understood it. :old:

I've proven that I can't multi-task. LOL. Yep, what he said, and also what you said. Got it.

UkerDanno
06-22-2016, 02:56 AM
You wouldn't keep them in a baggie full of water. You'd fill the Oasis humidifier as you normally would when using them to humidify but for storage purposes during the season(s) you are not using them to humidify, you put them in a sealed plastic bag. The sealed plastic bag apparently keeps them from drying out and shriveling up. I guess that procedure would allay the fears for those of us who worry that leaving the Oasis humidifier to dry out and shrivel up for months at a time might be bad for it and/or damage it. I think I'll give it a go.

They come dried out and shriveled up, can't imagine what could be damaged. I would worry more about them going stale and moldy sealed up in a bag for months.

mikelz777
06-22-2016, 06:41 AM
They come dried out and shriveled up, can't imagine what could be damaged. I would worry more about them going stale and moldy sealed up in a bag for months.

Mine came dry but they weren't shriveled up to the point where the sides were stuck together. Maybe the solution would be to take the caps off and let them dry out so the humidifier would more or less keep it's shape. Once the interior crystals are dry, cap them and store them. This way might be a little easier/less worrisome than storing them full.

wayfarer75
06-22-2016, 07:02 AM
Mine came dry but they weren't shriveled up to the point where the sides were stuck together. Maybe the solution would be to take the caps off and let them dry out so the humidifier would more or less keep it's shape. Once the interior crystals are dry, cap them and store them. This way might be a little easier/less worrisome than storing them full.

That's what I do.

Down Up Dick
06-22-2016, 07:12 AM

I don't like fuss and bother and remembering things (not my forte). I really like easy-peasy. If Willie Nelson can make music on his guitar, I suppose I'll be able to play with a small crack or two.

Well, see . . . :old:

UkerDanno
06-22-2016, 07:50 AM
see the last paragraph...
http://www.oasishumidifiers.com/product/humigel-crystals/

Rllink
06-23-2016, 07:01 AM
I'm not going to do anything with mine, except put it up on top of the shelf above where my ukulele sits. We'll see what happens. Maybe I'll squirt some water in it if I think about it, maybe not. If it comes October or November, and when I start using the furnace, if the humidity starts getting too low, and if my Oasis is ruined, I'll buy a new one.

2manistrings
06-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Summer's just as dry as winter in Arizona, humidify all the time.

I live in PA. But indoors, summer is just as dry as winter here, too, with heatAC running. I humidify all the time. I don't know that it "works". But I don't want to stop and find out, oops, shoulda kept it up! However, I have one solid wood uke and one guitar. So I use Oasis humidifiers. If I had more instruments, I'd use some room solution. That's one reason I only have two--too much trouble. :o But we're happy where we are.

Ukejenny
06-24-2016, 07:00 AM
Alabama can be pretty humid, so I'm not using anything an any cases of wooden instruments, though I do oil my clarinets a few times a year and I do condition the fingerboards of the ukuleles. So far, so good. I need to start registering the humidity in my house and see how things are going in here with the air on.