Thoughts on Stagg UCX?

EddiePlaysBass

Reaction score
My friends got me a gift certificate for a local music store, and it carries a lot of Stagg ukulele's. Now I know the general reputation Stagg has, but I do not want to spend the certificate on bass strings or on bass-related gear so I might as well get me a new ukulele!

The Stagg UCX-series caught my eye, but there's little specific user reviews to be found on the net so I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts. On this specific line of uke's, not on Stagg's other output :)

No experience, but from what I've seen online, I'd get one with the solid cedar top.

Hi Eddie,
I am also interested in the Stagg UCX-series ukes. I have read sooo many reviews, watched sooo many videos, etc. about which beginners uke to buy. Kala, Baton Rouge, Luna, etc... But there is nearly NOTHING online about the Stagg exotic wood range ukuleles.
Last week I visited a music shop and browsed their ukuleles.. Really I was not impressed with any, including the Kala and Luna brands that are so often recommended. However, after trying around 25 ukes I reached up and plucked the strings of the only Stagg displayed in the store.. USX-ACA-S (soprano acacia) ... WOW!! It just rang out. I was really surprised. The only uke that had any life in it. I nearly passed it by as Stagg have terrible reviews, and it had an unusual design. After inspecting it further it looked really well made, had a beautiful sound, and looked stunning. I couldn't help thinking how amazing the sound would be in concert/tenor size. I have since visited a different shop who had the USX Soprano in: acacia - top acacia, zebrawood - top cedar, and rosewood top - spruce. For me the acacia was the most pleasing sound, with good projection and tones.
I was so impressed that I have ordered a UCX-ACA-S (acacia, solid acacia top, concert size) from amazon. It hasn't arrived yet....

Last edited:
The recipe for success with buying mass produced ukuleles in the lower price categories is to either buy them in a store where you can try out the exact instrument you'll be taking home, or to get it from a place that includes free setup and does QA (that limits our choices in Europe). It's not that these ukes can't be good or even great. It's the lack of QA that makes it a gamble.

My very first uke was a Stagg concert with a solid mahogany top, and besides being a little overbuilt, it suffered from too high action, so it was painful to play. Three years later, with more experience and finger strength, I quite like the instrument, but it wasn't a good choice for me when I started out. This isn't brand specific, either -- I'd have stood the same chance to encounter this problem with other mass produced ukuleles in the same price range. It was nicely assembled, though, and was well done inside as well. It was just lacking setup, but for a new player that may well make the difference between a good experience and a disappointment. (That reminds me that I want to try Aquila Reds on it.)

Well I am going to pick one up this Saturday! Normally, anyway :) If I fail to be impressed by the Stagg uke's I will save my coupon for bass-related equipment. But something tells me I am going home with one of these Staggs :) That phrase sounds weird ...

Well I picked up a Stagg UCX-SPA-S yesterday! I tried that one, a UCX-ACA-S, an electric UCX and a Washburn.

Definitely not impressed by the Washburn, I have to say. The electric Stagg had some flaws to it so I passed on that one.

Between the ACA and SPA, the ACA had a slightly better neck but I preferred the sound of the SPA. Clearer and more projection of sound. And the difference in neck was too small for me to justify going for the acacia version.

I know the rules so I will try to post some pictures and audio tomorrow or later this week :)

Top Bottom