NUD: KoAloha curly koa slimline tenor

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Just opened up a delivery from the UPS man today and I am quite happy with the newest member of the ukulele family. I ordered a curly koa slimline tenor from KoAloha. I am surprised at how comfortable the slimline is to play. I didn't think it would make much difference, but it is really comfortable and I'm enjoying it.

Though I know lots of folks disapprove of naming ukes, I've always named mine, so I'm leaning towards Wiwinani - slender beauty in Hawaiian (since it is a slimline tenor, and because I rather like the curl and blue mother of pearl rosette).

wiwinani1.jpgwiwinani2.jpg

wow, quite nice, I wouldn't mind having one of those myself.

Maybe even over my crown bridge one. Lol.

Congrats.

Beautiful. KoAloha's are usually so plain (which admittedly some people prefer) looking, this one is refreshingly blingy with its koa curl! Enjoy!!

WeeWee is a babe. Very nice. Congratulations.

So lovely and graceful. Do you notice a sound difference with the slimline?

So lovely and graceful. Do you notice a sound difference with the slimline?

Not really tonally. It also is really the same level volume. I do find that I prefer the thin body, it is easier to play for me. Plus, not sure if this is with all slimlines or an anomaly, but the neck is thinner than my other KoAloha. It makes for a really nice playing experience.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. :)

I bought a Rubin travel Tenor last year to start playing Uku. It is nice to play and after a proper setup even nicer. I noticed the slimline (44 mm thick in the lower bout, where the standard tenor is 66 mm) has slightly lower 'Drive' to the volume but the elegant tone of it makes it my favorite. I played the Kala slimlines up at my local music shop, they are spruce tops and have a bit more volume, maybe. I find that the thicker tenor is a bit easier to hold in place with my forearm, but the Rubin is still my favorite in overall play-ability.

The Rubin also has a slightly thinner neck than the standard size tenors which helps me as I have a wonky thumb joint which makes 'thumb behind the neck' a problem for me. The nut is still 37mm wide so plenty of finger space on the frets. It takes a bit different technique to play a thinline but it is a joy to learn to adapt. I'd be interested in a sound sample and a comparison to a 'standard' size.

That KoAloha is sure a beauty and I'll bet sounds as good as it looks.

Congratulations, Staci! A friend of mine has a KoAloha slimline and it really is fun to handle and play, and it sounds just like its less slim siblings. I hope a photo of that ukulele made it into your KoAloha book!

I'd be interested in a sound sample and a comparison to a 'standard' size.

Ha! Not from me. I am far too shy, though The Ukulele Review did do a comparison once.
http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/07/19/two-koaloha-tenor-bodies-compared/

Congratulations, Staci! A friend of mine has a KoAloha slimline and it really is fun to handle and play, and it sounds just like its less slim siblings. I hope a photo of that ukulele made it into your KoAloha book!

Yup. They sent me a photo begore they shipped it...the last page of the book.
image.jpg

BTW, I am so glad the book is finished and I am pretty pleased with the result. I am giving it to KoAloha on July 14, then releasing it for sale that night or the next day. Since the hardcover is so expensive though, I am releasing a softcover edition too, plus an e-edition.

Last edited:
That is some stunning curly koa, congratulations it is a beauty.

I gotta admit, I'm KoAloha biased. Congratulations on the stunning new ukulele. I love their new look. I'm really looking forward to your book release.
Peace through ukulele,
joe

Wow Staci! What a beauty! Congrats on such a beautiful ukulele. I always wondered what the feel of a thin travel uke would be like.

Wow Staci! What a beauty! Congrats on such a beautiful ukulele. I always wondered what the feel of a thin travel uke would be like.

I am thinking about making it my traveling uke, so if I take it to Boston and Ptown in October, you can see it. :)

I gotta admit, I'm KoAloha biased. Congratulations on the stunning new ukulele. I love their new look. I'm really looking forward to your book release.
Peace through ukulele,
joe

Thanks Joe. The book is finished and ready for sale, it will be released either July 14 or 15. :)

That is a beauty. Congratulations. Very nice Koa on this ukuleles. Love the new logo and the rosette.

Top Bottom