Freemont soloist low g help

bunnyf

Reaction score
I wanted to try low G on my soprano and ordered this string. It's wound and fairly thick. I was just barely able to get it through my slotted bridge, but am wondering how to tie it's knot. It's makes a pretty big figure eight knot. Will it tighten down as I secure the other end and tune it? Is this not a string to use on my soprano with this kind of bridge? I figured I better ask for some advice before I proceed.

I'm not sure what kind of bridge yours is - I always get confused with terminology and Googling "slotted bridge" shows conflicting opinions of what that means! But on my concert ukes, I have what I *think* is called a slotted bridge and all I do is tie a single knot (not a figure 8 - just loop the end through once) on Fremont Soloists. Here's a photo, in case that helps - the knot fits snugly in the slot, and while it may tighten after the string settles in, I've never had it tighten so much that it becomes too small and slips through.

File Jun 21, 3 28 54 PM.jpg

That is the type of bridge that this uke has. You just tie a knot, but the knot seems so large with the wound string. E other strings are either Southcoast or living water fluorocarbons and the knots are small. The wound string makes it hard to get a tight knot ball.

Funnily enough, I just strung my uke with a slotted bridge with a Fremont soloist low G last week. I know what you mean about not getting the knot tight. I just did the simplest knot I could manage and even though it wasn't tight, it held well enough.

I have some and, as per resouker's recommendation, plan on putting them on my reso ukes.

That is the type of bridge that this uke has. You just tie a knot, but the knot seems so large with the wound string. E other strings are either Southcoast or living water fluorocarbons and the knots are small. The wound string makes it hard to get a tight knot ball.

Forgot to mention earlier, I pull the knot tight with needlenose pliers after I tie it. It still seems big, but then so does the knot on the C string - yet they always hold!

They hold a tie well...........just knot anyway that will fit. I think you will love this string.

Thanks guys for all the help. I'm gonna pull that knot tight with my needle nose and proceed. Just want to double check before I had an uh-oh moment. This is my only slotted uke and it's a walnut LoPrinzi soprano that I really love. I would kick myself in the pants if I did something stupid to her.

Mission accomplished

Sounds good. Will take a little getting used to. It sounds strange to be not hearing its usual high reentrant voice, but I do like it. I'm trying to get more familiar with the fretboard and my mind and fingers can find the notes easier on linear tuning.

I take everything back. My knot just slipped and the string came out of the slot. I had to replace it with a low G aquila red that I had lying around. The soloist sounded much better!

I have my fingers crossed and I did pull it as tight as I could with pliers, so we will see. It does sound nice and the linear tuning is making my progress thru "the ukulele way" much easier than reentrant.

Next time I think I'll put some super glue on the knot. That should hold it. I really really dislike my slot bridge!

Top Bottom