PDA

View Full Version : Back after Father Death tried to get me twice

Patrick Madsen
06-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Been a long two months away from UU and life in general.

I developed a wound on my right ischial (butt cheek)about a year ago. It turned into a sepsis infection about a week before I was going to have it surgically closed by a plastic surgeon. Wife insisted I go to the ER. I suggested let's wait and see what happens. Typical male response. She won out.

The docs there said if I had waited another 8 hours it would have been too late. Sepsis is a fast moving infection and once in the blood stream; father death is usually the result. They took me immediately into surgery to clean the wound and where the infection was burrowing.

Rather than getting into the sordid details of three surgeries, 2 near death encounters , six weeks of laying in a special bed with no getting up and three weeks in an extended care facility; I'm finally home. Weak as hell and can hardly transfer into the wheelchair, but I'm home and rarin to get back to normal. I went to the gym today and worked out with my trainer to start getting the strength back and hope to do a few miles on the hand cycle this weekend.

Reading UU kept me sane and the uke sat in the corner of the hospital room encouraging me to make it thru so I could play it again.

This was just too close. I figure I should treat myself to one of the Pono Steel String baris coming out soon as a symbol of surviving yet again. Or, perhaps have one made.

I'm glad to be back posting and being with friends here on UU. Now onto happier times and more; lots more playing the uke.

WCBarnes
06-23-2016, 06:20 PM
Wow! That is scary! I am glad you are on the mend. Sepsis is not something to mess around with.

These typical male responses we have are the reason married men live longer than our single counterparts. Cheers to the women in our lives that keep us going! I absolutely think a Pono is warranted (as well as something nice for your wife for getting you to the ER)!

Keep strumming!!

sukie
06-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Welcome back!
I hope you get your strength back soon.

Jim Hanks
06-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Glad to have you back. I have to say I'm not familiar with the phrase "father death". My Father is the Father of life (not trying to start a religious thread, just sayin).

hawaii 50
06-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Happy and Glad for you Pat.....keep on strumming....:)

Down Up Dick
06-23-2016, 07:24 PM
Yeah, welcome back. Get your strength back, but take it easy. It takes a while. :old:

mm stan
06-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Aloha Pat,
Welcome back and I'm glad you recovered and im sure it must have been life awakening period. Yup I'm sure you had your two feather MB ukulele
In the hospital for encouragement. Take care and happy strummings, two feathers :)

Camsuke
06-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Welcome back Patrick, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend.

Booli
06-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Hey brother...

Glad you are back on the mend and was able to defeat the Grim Reaper...

Keep on ukin! :music:

Tigeralum2001
06-23-2016, 08:08 PM
Pat, that was WAY too close, bro! Sepsis is no joke. It is a long road ahead of you, too, but you can do it. You have a really nice uke that can help you through it, too! Play it often! Glad things are much better. Work the rehab, it's hard, but helps a ton.

Ukulele Eddie
06-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Wow, very scary. Glad you bought yourself a treat. Don't forget your wife -- she deserves a wonderful gift (and don't try to tell her your surviving was gift enough!). ;-)

And next time a sore is bubbling like a sulphur spring, suggest you get it looked at. LOL. Speed down that road to full health!!!

kohanmike
06-23-2016, 08:11 PM
I know what you're going through. You seem to have a great attitude, keep it up.

cml
06-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Welcome back mate, I wish you a speedy recovery! Do treat your wife with something nice :).

PhilUSAFRet
06-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Welcome back. Now you have a whole new standard for what constitutes a "pain in the ass." Glad all turned out ok. Keep up those exercises and you'll be fit as a fiddle in no time. (I started to say uke, but it didn't have the same ring to it.)

mds725
06-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Wow! I'm so glad to hear that you made it through that medical nightmare. I hope for you the strenght to come all the way back from your brush with death, and the will to do the hard work that lies ahead. And definitely buy yourself an ukulele that will make you happy. As you've discovered, life is too short not to be happy.

DownUpDave
06-24-2016, 12:43 AM
Hey brother I knew you were sick.........but nothing like that. Thank God for your wife, the doctors and your strong will to live. Life wouldn't be the same around here with out you :D. I am so happy you came out the other side and I know you will come all the way back.

Doc_J
06-24-2016, 01:11 AM
Patrick, after surviving that close call, you definitely must get a new steel string Pono.
Glad you're back, and recovering.

Futurethink
06-24-2016, 02:06 AM
Hang in there. The therapy is wearying, but absolutely necessary. I hope you recover quickly.

dkcrown
06-24-2016, 02:21 AM
Welcome back Patrick. Scary story, but glad it turned out ok

stevejfc
06-24-2016, 02:39 AM
Glad you're back Pat, safe and sound. Take care brother.

sam13
06-24-2016, 04:02 AM
Patrick, great to hear you are in recovery mode, and on the mend. The UU community is better for you being around. Positive vibes for a speedy recovery!

wayfarer75
06-24-2016, 04:31 AM
Wow--glad you went to the doctor. I hope you feel 100% soon!

Osprey
06-24-2016, 04:48 AM
Patrick,
I am glad you are on the mend. I too have a wife that insists I see the doctor when I tend to wait and let things take care of themselves. Playing music is a good way to heal.

bearbike137
06-24-2016, 04:51 AM
Glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery! I bet you are tired of hearing "pain in the butt" puns and jokes... lol.

Keep that uke close!

Patrick Madsen
06-24-2016, 05:07 AM
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and welcoming back. I'm overwhelmed by the energy felt here. I'll never get tired of the "Pain in the ass" puns; gives me good fodder for the negative comments I sometimes hear from the docs and stuff.

Rehabbing is number one on the list along with playing of course. I hate the word "therapy"; for me it reminds me of people who don't give 100%. I prefer to call it training. The Physical Therapists at the Hospital and the "home" always smiled when I called them my trainers rather than my therapists. They seemed to work a bit harder also lol.

This was harder than my initial injury 43 years ago on the 21st. With the support I've gotten here and at home, it'll pass quickly. We can't always control what happens to us but we can control how we handle it.

M3Ukulele
06-24-2016, 05:26 AM
Glad you are OK. +1 on the UAS... treat yourself. Keep on strumming!

Ukejenny
06-24-2016, 06:32 AM
You sound like a real trooper, and that is an important component of bouncing back. Glad you, and your ass, are going to be okay. Sounds like a harrowing journey. So glad you are back with us!!!

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and welcoming back. I'm overwhelmed by the energy felt here. I'll never get tired of the "Pain in the ass" puns; gives me good fodder for the negative comments I sometimes hear from the docs and stuff.

Rehabbing is number one on the list along with playing of course. I hate the word "therapy"; for me it reminds me of people who don't give 100%. I prefer to call it training. The Physical Therapists at the Hospital and the "home" always smiled when I called them my trainers rather than my therapists. They seemed to work a bit harder also lol.

This was harder than my initial injury 43 years ago on the 21st. With the support I've gotten here and at home, it'll pass quickly. We can't always control what happens to us but we can control how we handle it.

hendulele
06-24-2016, 07:01 AM

Yes, glad you're on the mend. I love the term "trainers." I have to share that with my wife (who's a nurse at an adult day center that takes the occasional rehab patient). She'll love that, too. Keep healing and keep strumming!

Joyful Uke
06-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Welcome back. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and I'm looking forward to hearing about whatever ukulele you treat yourself to. :) I agree with those who say that your wife deserves a special gift, too.

bonesigh
06-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Glad you didn't get to meet your maker yet. Welcome back and uke on!

cpmusic
06-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Patrick, I'm happy to hear you're on the mend! Welcome back!

kvehe
06-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Oh,my, you've had quite a time. I'm so glad you're healing well, and we are so happy to have you back.

Nickie
06-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Wow, Patrick, you played that one close.
Further proof that men should listen to women.
Congrats on making it, and welcome back to the hallowed halls of UU.

igorthebarbarian
06-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Welcome back. That is terrifying! I'm glad you made it through

Biedmatt
06-25-2016, 07:01 AM
Sounds like what the medical community term a "bed sore". My brother, who broke his neck in an auto accident, had the same thing about two years ago. He too didn't recogonize how serious it had become and may have died if not for the intervention of my sister. Women, it's good we have them watching over us. I am glad you are doing better and your spirits are high. Attitude is everything.

Matt

WhenDogsSing
06-25-2016, 07:18 AM
Good to hear you're doing well. Sounds like you have a great attitude and positivity is always the best way to be.

buddhuu
06-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Very glad you're doing ok now. That's a pretty scary ride.

Patrick Madsen
06-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Thanks Everyone. Now it's time to close this thread and get back to talkin' and ukeing.

Griffis
06-25-2016, 06:24 PM
I don't mean to go against your wishes re: thread closure, but would like to add my voice to the chorus of well-wishers. I have had very similar prognoses more than once and live with chronic bone infections in both lower legs. And likewise, had it not been for my wife's wise counsel, I'd have at best lost one or both legs at the hip, at worst departed this veil for the Undiscovered Country.

Just to say, I heartily sympathize and am so glad you are healing and regaining strength.

southcoastukes
06-25-2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks Everyone. Now it's time to close this thread and get back to talkin' and ukeing.

O.K; won't say anything - but ... O.K., won't say it! (Hi, Patrick!)

Briangriffinukuleles
06-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Give me the last word in closing out the thread by saying that Pat is a courageous and dear friend and that all of the Bellingham and Whatcom County ukulele community are so relieved that he made it through. We need him back leading the Community Players group playing at our senior centers, and sharing his musical knowledge and good will among us. Heartening to see so many of your UU friends joining us Pat.
Brian

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Wow, Patrick, I had no idea! I'm so glad you are on the mend and I will keep you in my highest thoughts and prayers.

Soundbored
06-26-2016, 02:16 AM
Glad to have you back. I have to say I'm not familiar with the phrase "father death". My Father is the Father of life (not trying to start a religious thread, just sayin).

+1

I really wish UU had upvoting.

Patrick Madsen
11-13-2016, 03:45 AM
Well back in assisted living doing the same routine again. Seems the surgery didn't hold and a few months later was back in for more extensive surgery and the big laydown for 24/7. This time I'll be going home after a few weeks here and out of this special,Clinitron bed and into another type bed for another three weeks. Then back in the gym and back on the handcycle to get strong again.

Rather than having the uke sit in the corner, Brian Griffin of Griffin ukes is bringing me over one of his wonderful concert Pine Cone ukes he's just finishing up. It's small, thin and shaped just right for playing while on my back. It also has the sound and volume as his lovingly made tenors have. I'm blessed having such a wonderful luthier and friend close by.

Sorry I haven't been active on the forum lately but read it daily. I'm down but not out. Still too much living and playing to do.

For all of you who play at places like I'm in; I can attest how important and appreciative you are to the residents. They are a wonderful group of people who support each other and love the music we bring to them. Keep at it and never quit.

jfalconc
11-13-2016, 04:18 AM
Hope you return soon to your house completely healed. I understand the feeling as I was in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) 10 months ago for the same reason (Sepsis) but in my case it was due to uncertain cause. I will include you in my prayers!!!

Joyful Uke
11-13-2016, 05:13 AM
Sending you lots of good thoughts and best wishes for a full recovery.

stevejfc
11-13-2016, 06:06 AM
All the best Patrick

kohanmike
11-13-2016, 06:41 AM
Best wishes Pat, I know from where you are, had by-pass, cancer, hip replacement, stents. Keeping a positive outlook gets me through it all.

hawaii 50
11-13-2016, 06:50 AM
sending positive healing energy to you my MB brother....:) stay strong!!

DownUpDave
11-13-2016, 07:47 AM
Patrick I hold you in my heart as a good friend and I know you will be feeling stronger, playing louder and longer in short order. I was wondering why you were quite on the boards so thanks for letting us know. I will play the Webber and Pono UL4 while thinking of you.

pritch
11-13-2016, 01:00 PM
Looking forward to reading the posts reporting on your recovery.

Chopped Liver
11-13-2016, 02:00 PM
Sending prayers your way!

Ukulele Eddie
11-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Fully and speedy healing this time, Patrick!

Patrick Madsen
11-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Thank you all. This forum is more than just a site of uke enthusiasts, it morphed into one of family caring for one another. Pretty hard to have down days with such wonderful positive support from you.

kvehe
11-13-2016, 10:55 PM
Thinking of you!

mm stan
11-13-2016, 11:22 PM
Aloha Patrick, sorry to hear you're not well yet, sending get well vibes and prayers your way for a speedy recovery brother
Take care,

Teek
11-16-2016, 11:13 PM
This is rough scary stuff. You listen to your docs and your wife, and play a ton of uke! Cruise UU, look at HMS and figure out what uke you will get when you are out! ;)

I had an infection that was thisclose to sepsis. When I was heading home feeling weak and loopy from getting late antibiotics for what had been a different issue, I heard a voice in my head tell me to go to the hospital instead, don't dare go home. The drs said $$$$$, so I went to urgent care. They said I was too sick for them to treat me, go back to the hospital. No insurance back then, spent $$$$$ to get scripts from a doc who wanted me admitted for IV antibiotics, but, no money and was in a very rough patch in my life. Drove back the other way to an all night whatever CVS was 20 years ago, waited for meds at 2am, trying not to pass out, took first dose as soon as I got back to car. Had two kinds, both heavy duty, with orders to stay in bed, do nothing but drink fluids.

We can't mess around anymore with antibiotic resistance what it is, the faster we get medical care the better, don't wait!

Patrick Madsen
11-17-2016, 03:16 AM
Glad you're okay Teek, sounds like a scary time. They told me it's like sepsis has a mind of its own and always travels towards the nearest artery. Mine was heading towards my femoral artery. It's why so many die quickly from it

Doing better each day. Probably another 10 days here then home in a different bed for three weeks then can start getting up.

As long as I can play, ride my handcycle and stand in the stander; I'll be okay. Definitely a lesson in patience and gaining a good introspection of ones life lol. This too shall pass.

Perhaps I'll look for a vintage small guitar as a symbol for surviving this. Last time I bought the Pono ul4 to celebrate.