Laughlin 2M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Laughlin 2K $1,150 (this is a 2K, not a 2M)

Literally a week after I sold my last sopranos earlier this year (love 'em but am more comfortable concert size and up), I stumbled onto a Laughlin 2K (originally listed as 2M per title, but Tim Laughlin confirmed this is koa). I had heard such great things about them and figured I'd enjoy it for a few months and then sell it. While that remains the plan, I'm finding it hard to let this one go! In my best Most Interesting Man in the World voice (Dos Equis), "I don't always play soprano but when I do, I prefer Laughlin. Triple-strum, my friends."

This uke was represented as "new closed music store inventory" when I bought it. Well, it certainly was not new but I was so taken by the tone I decided not to return it despite the seller eager to take it back as he had allegedly had two back offers at more than I paid. I cleaned it up and put on some Worth Browns. Its build year is 2007 (Tim told me how to check).

If you're not familiar with Tim Laughlin, he is widely reputed to craft one of the most authentic vintage-style Martin reproductions available. Simply search on Laughlin and you'll find plenty of accolades. New Laughlins are only available through Elderly and used ones are very hard to come by (there's a used 5K on Elderly for $3K for anyone interested).

This beauty has some koa body and mahogany neck. This uke is in very good condition. There are no material marks or dings. Tim wasn't sure which finish this has, but he did some that year with very light shellac finishes instead of the usual lacquer. I tend to think it's shellac, which is not quite as durable as lacquer but can have some tone benefits as it's lighter.

Price $1,150 plus actual shipping. Includes Stagg case (has some smudges on it but it's a nice case). I offer a 3-day inspection period. If not thrilled, return it to me and I'll refund all but any shipping costs.

Last edited:
That is gorgeous. Not in the market, but if I were ... Good luck! Someone's bound to get a great uke.

A gorgeous uke at a great price.
They don't come any better than Tim's work in my opinion, and that includes vintage Martins.

Eddie, I could be wrong, but that looks more like a 2K than a 2M to me. I have two of Tim's #3 ukuleles, (one 3K and the other Mahogany 3), and the tone and build could not be better. If it wasn't for his makers stamp, you would think that these were vintage Martins frozen in time. They are probably as close as you can get to buying a like new, 1920s vintage Martin. I can't begin to describe how good these are.

Eddie, I could be wrong, but that looks more like a 2K than a 2M to me. I have two of Tim's #3 ukuleles, (one 3K and the other Mahogany 3), and the tone and build could not be better. If it wasn't for his makers stamp, you would think that these were vintage Martins frozen in time. They are probably as close as you can get to buying a like new, 1920s vintage Martin. I can't begin to describe how good these are.

@Django, I also thought it might be koa when I first saw pics of it. The Seller had it listed as a 2M. I asked Tim when I originally contacted him by saying I assume it's mahogany but it looks a bit like koa. He didn't comment so I assumed it was 'hog (you know what my dad always said about "assume" ;-). I had also asked a couple of knowledgeable folks if they thought koa or 'hog and they both voted 'hog. However, after your post I decided to ping Tim again and he confirmed it IS koa with a mahogany neck.

So, this is a 2K.

I hope that someone buys this before my willpower gives out. If you play a soprano and don't need or want the extended fingerboard, this is as good as it gets.

I played a Laughlin 5K at Elderly the other day and it was like buttah. I don't have the scratch for any of them, but I highly recommend his work. One of the easiest playing ukes I have ever touched.

Good luck with the sale, Eddie.

Nice sound sample, Eddie.

I liked Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" sample ... it takes me back.

Nice sound sample, Eddie.

I liked Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" sample ... it takes me back.

Thanks, Sam!

The ukulele has been sold. I'm half heartbroken and half happy that it will be enjoyed by a fellow UU'er who is over-the-moon excited about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom