FS: Scott Wise Australian Blackwood Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
SOLD: Scott Wise Australian Blackwood Tenor

For sale is a Scott Wise Tenor, Australian Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon), Number 519, built in 2014. This tenor is an incredibly lightweight, responsive acoustic instrument, first and foremost. The feel and tone are quite different from the heavier, glossy, more guitar-like instruments. It's got among the best (easiest) playability of the tenors I have owned.

This tenor, built along the lines of the light, responsive historic Hawaiian ukuleles, has a big complex voice which can best be described as projecting, warm, and articulate. This is an instrument from a master builder who has a specific, tonal goal in mind. Many of Scott Wise’s design details can be found here.

This uke is in very good condition, with only some strum marks on the top bout. Intonation is amazingly good with compensation on the saddle and the nut. I'd rather not let this awesome sounding uke go, but still desire to reduce my collection of ukes. So here it is.

Here’s a very recent sound sample with Oasis Brights, low g in C6 tuning. https://app.box.com/s/0xotgpsy43nrx1r7ky7o8wp6btiu01pk
Sold.

Summary of the uke’s features:
  • Flamed Australian Blackwood top, back and sides
  • Hand carved neck made from various species of the genus Toona. mahogany-like wood is called Red Cedar in Australia,
  • Ebony fretboard, bridge, head plate, strap button
  • Handmade rope binding and rosette
  • Bridge - Rosewood
  • Nuts and bridge saddles – Ebony (Compensation on the saddle and nut).
  • Rope binding of poplar and rosewood, to protect and enhance sound
  • Thin, flexible satin lacquer finish
  • Interior braces - Select hard, fine grain spruce
  • Open gear tuners
  • 12 Frets to the body, 18 overall
  • Includes a nice rugged hard case

From the Scott Wise website: "Welcome to the Wise Ukulele website. I am Scott Wise. I have been making ukuleles since 1979. I have always had a deep interest in historic Hawaiian ukuleles and their precursors from Portugal and Spain. I believe that the traditional lightly built handmade ukuleles of the early 20th century have important characteristics which are not found in modern instruments. I am working to regain some of the old magic.

I work alone, building largely by hand in Margaret River, Western Australia, a place where forest meets a beautiful surf coast, much like Hawaii and the U.S. mainland west coast. It is a long way from almost anywhere, so I get out to meet the ukulele community around the world when I can.
"

P1070794_zps4huw46nz.jpg

P1070800_zpson0yfzse.jpg

P1070803_zpspjjnw2sa.jpg

P1070797_zpszdvqfvid.jpg

Last edited:
Folks, this is an amazing deal on a stunningly good instrument. Mine was around $1500, so consider this a Wise investment!!

I recently (and reluctantly) just passed on my Wise to another member here on the forum because Ive moved away from tenors more towards concerts and sopranos...but I miss it whenever i think of it!
Great deal on a finely built instrument!

Scott Wise makes great instruments. I had a tenor and a baritone built for me and both were fantastic. Light weigh and beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom