I figured this would make you guys proud:

nico

Reaction score
25kr0ub.png

First, Washington D.C, next, the world!

I hope Ms. Fandrey takes it beyond just sharing your suggestion. I'm surprised ukuleles were never there in the first place. Maybe we should start a petition here and send it to Ms. Fandrey. ;)

Last edited:
I'd be afraid that chronic sufferers of UAS would try to plan a heist...

I'd be afraid that chronic sufferers of UAS would try to plan a heist...

You stole my idea. I was going to apply for a job there. Then, through an email and web campaign begin the grass roots effort to add a ukulele wing to the instrument exhibit. Due to my leadership efforts and my knowledge of the instrument and its history, I would be put in charge of the acquisition of the instruments to display. I then scour the web for Old Martins and Hawaiian Koas, new Pineapple Sundays and Sceptres, one-of-a-kind Howletts and Dominators and Bluegrass ukuleles. Purchasing these on the taxpayer's dime, I would then swap them with $25 Mahalos that I sandpapered and dented to look old. By the time the display opened, I'd quit my job with the grateful thanks of the museum director for a job well done and be off with the loot to Alberta, Canada. There I'd hold up at mctrmt's secret hideaway and be protected by Tucker Torpedo from any Gummit agents who dare attempt to confiscate my ill-gotten goodies.

But now i can't.

You stole my idea. I was going to apply for a job there. Then, through an email and web campaign begin the grass roots effort to add a ukulele wing to the instrument exhibit. Due to my leadership efforts and my knowledge of the instrument and its history, I would be put in charge of the acquisition of the instruments to display. I then scour the web for Old Martins and Hawaiian Koas, new Pineapple Sundays and Sceptres, one-of-a-kind Howletts and Dominators and Bluegrass ukuleles. Purchasing these on the taxpayer's dime, I would then swap them with $25 Mahalos that I sandpapered and dented to look old. By the time the display opened, I'd quit my job with the grateful thanks of the museum director for a job well done and be off with the loot to Alberta, Canada. There I'd hold up at mctrmt's secret hideaway and be protected by Tucker Torpedo from any Gummit agents who dare attempt to confiscate my ill-gotten goodies.

But now i can't.

And it would have worked too if it wasn't for you meddling kids...

I hope Ms. Fandrey takes it beyond just sharing your suggestion. I'm surprised ukuleles were never there in the first place. Maybe we should start a petition here and send it to Ms. Fandrey. ;)

I'm also quite surprised that a Smithsonian exhibit wouldn't already include ukuleles. They're an uniquely American instrument (the origin is Portuguese, true. But the ukulele has become something entirely of its own over time.) Especially a hall of musical instruments.

I mean, Jinkies!

There's a lot of interesting history there that would make a good exhibit. (Tie it to an exhibit about the Paniolo and you've got a worthy afternoon)

On the other hand, it always makes me sad to see instruments in museums because it means that they are no longer played. I don't want to think about the sounds we're missing out on because that Stradivarius cello is in climate controlled case rather than being used to play Bach Cello Suites...

I'm also quite surprised that a Smithsonian exhibit wouldn't already include ukuleles. They're an uniquely American instrument (the origin is Portuguese, true. But the ukulele has become something entirely of its own over time.) Especially a hall of musical instruments.

That's exactly what I thought. Get this: the Hall of Musical Instruments at the National Museum for American History consists of a few violins and cellos, a clarinet and a trumpet or two - which are nice and all, but definitely a far cry from being American.

And I couldn't help but also wonder where the jazz was, which is America's own genre. Not to mention some bluesy instruments like the harmonica. But nope.

Honestly. If they didn't have that gigantic portrait of Stephen Colbert, the American History museum would hardly be worth the time it takes to walk around it. They're really slacking.

But now i can't.

And it would have worked too if it wasn't for you meddling kids...

ZOINKS!

/lookin for a scoobie snack

Ukie-Doo!!! Where are you?!?!?!?!?

lol .

NO guitars either, the instrument of Hawaiian Paniolos, and American Cowboys?
Who's running the show there? Seems pretty lame.

YES!! haha uke is getting even more recognition!! shcore!!!

Top Bottom