R.I.P. Ralph Stanley

river_driver

Reaction score
The world lost another great musician last night...Dr. Ralph Stanley passed away at 89.

I was fortunate enough to get to see him a year and a half ago. He wasn't able to play banjo that day but he sang. Oh, did he sing! What a voice!

But there is one promise that is given, I'll meet you on God's golden shore.
- "Man of Constant Sorrow"

RIP, Ralph...I'll have to play my banjolele today in memoriam...

I know his work with brother Carter during the King and Columbia Records years. I'll have to give those CDs a spin. It's sad to see such legends go.

An important part of American music history has gone on to a better place.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard this, but am saddened that we've lost yet another music legend.

Everybody dies, and he was 89 . . . :eek:ld:

I have no disillusions about that and at 89 years, he had more years than a lot of us may have. It's common to comfort ourselves by saying that he lived a long life since the expectation is that when someone reaches that age, death at any time is kind of expected but it is still sad. For me, part of the sadness is not that I thought he died before his time, it's more the passing of an era and an icon of that era. In a way, he achieved immortality while he was still living. His music will live on forever and his impact and influence in country/bluegrass music was recognized during his life time to where he'd always be regarded as someone who threw a large shadow in the genre. Men of his stature are getting pretty rare.

Thanks for posting this river. I didn't know. I've listened to the Clinch Mountain boys for years. Ralph was one of the finest banjo artists and tenor singers ever. Carter was a great rhythm guitarist, he had a talent emulated by many great Bluegrass artists.
I think the biggest shame is that Bluegrass greats like this aren't hailed the way country/pop/rock singers are. Plus, they usually live and die broke, and have to work hard at non-music jobs. And their musical skills are unparalled!
The world will miss him, the way we miss Lester and Bill.

I was fortunate to see him three times in the past few years at Stuart's Opry House in Nelsonville, Ohio.

He was frailer and frailer with each appearance -and had given over much of the show to his grandson - but always managed to do an a cappella song during his set that would bring chills down your spine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom