Another other string Q-- unwound low G concert sets?

Griffis

Reaction score
I think I may have even asked this before, and apologies if so, but any recommendations here?

Other considerations: I prefer thicker gauge strings to thinner. Not necessarily a stickler for tension...middle o' the road, I guess. Not super tight, not too rubbery.

Really, just unwound, low G, concert scale.

Be happy to try a low G unwound tenor set, but would they possibly be too loose, tension-wise?

I appreciate any discussion...thanks in advance!

What Jim said^

This topic has been discussed ad infinitum since this forum came into existance - LOL.

Yes, it has, but that keeps the forum going--something else that has been discussed before!

I agree on Living Waters. For thicker 1st and 4th strings, try their tenor set. Ken Middleton recommended I do that, and I like them. Liked the concert set, too, but the tenor set was right on with slightly thicker strings.

My Kala concert has a lo-G set of Aquila "reds" fitted ... can't fault them :)

My Kala concert has a lo-G set of Aquila "reds" fitted ... can't fault them :)

Well, a buddy sent me a set of these but I haven't put them on yet mainly because of the wound G, but I think I'll go for it, see how I like them in the meantime.

Based on my experience with a red G string on a tenor and a red B string on a baritone, I wouldn't be surprised if the unwound red G string sounded better on your concert than a fluorocarbon (low) G string. It should be thinner, too.

Well, a buddy sent me a set of these but I haven't put them on yet mainly because of the wound G, but I think I'll go for it, see how I like them in the meantime.

You can buy Aquila low G red as a single, which would replace your wound G.

Based on my experience with a red G string on a tenor and a red B string on a baritone, I wouldn't be surprised if the unwound red G string sounded better on your concert than a fluorocarbon (low) G string. It should be thinner, too.

No. The fluorocarbon low G is thinner. I couldn't fit a red G on my Bruko tenor but a Worth low G went on fine. Fluorocarbon strings are thinner than Aquila's nylon based formulation.

Top Bottom