FS (UK): Vintage Martin Style 1 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBB

TheBathBird
UU VIP
Reaction score
**********SOLD*********

This is a bit heartbreaking, but I've recently purchased a vintage Martin Style 3, and I simply cannot justify keeping this one.

It's in excellent original condition, no cracks or major dings (there are a couple of tiny nicks, which I caused in a clumsy incident involving a case latch :( ). It plays beautifully - sweet, barky, classic Martin. And the intonation is good all the way up the neck. The tuners work really well and hardly ever need adjusting once the strings have settled.

The guys at Southern Ukulele had a look at it recently and told me it's one of the best they've seen; in fact they advised me not to sell it, but hey ho, you can't have everything (apparently)! According to the King/Walsh Martin ukulele bible it was built in the 50's - it has T-frets and Waverley Hexnut tuners, but no "made in the USA" on the interior stamp. The only sign of its age it shows is a slight separation of the top binding at the waist. I'm told this is normal, and not a problem, and I'll include a photo that shows it.

It comes with an old (may or may not be original) case.

Asking £595 including uk shipping.

I've pretty much given up trying to get pics to post the right way up, I'm happy to send upright photos to anyone who wants to pm me their email address.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of photos showing the nicks caused by my incompetence:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a recent video, there are a couple of others on my youtube channel

May I ask you what's the action at the 1st and 12th fret ?

Hi Ukador, I'm not sure how one accurately measures action, but as far as I can tell it's a little under 3mm at the 12th. I'm struggling to get a measurement at the 1st, but maybe about 1.5 (if you slide a credit card under the strings below the nut, the first fret will hold it in place)

A straight steel ruler does the trick :)!

What a gorgeous Style 1! And so hard to locate and purchase in the U.K. What an opportunity for someone!

Thanks Ukador, but Sterling hasn't quite dropped low enough for that... yet!

A bump for this little fella before it goes on ebay tomorrow

Went off the boil a bit with this one, after my daughter came back from Asia with dengue fever and selling ukuleles slipped off my list of priorities!
Also, I no longer need the Gator Journeyman case I've always used for this uke, so I'm including it in the price for anybody who would like it instead of the original(?) one (obviously it's a much better case, cost about £60 new, and I don't think the old one has any real value).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 9
Attempting slightly better photos... (sigh)

image.jpgimage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom