Looking at Kanile'a deluxe koa guitarlele (GL6-D S#14642).

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
After DownupDave sent me photos of his new l'iwi uke, I went on HMS to have a better look at it. Dang Dave, you did it again with another spectacular find.

Anyway, I got to looking at the guitarlele GL-6D. Being an old guitar player, I miss the steel string sound and have been waiting on the Pono UL4 series to come out. This model has me intrigued and thinking about adding a six string A tuned instrument to the stable.

Has anyone played the GL-6? Is it string steel or nylon; neck width? I wrote Andrew and know he'll send the specs.. In the meantime, I thought I'd ask any of you.

The UAS has struck and there is no relenting til it's satisfied.
Thanks.

So......you're blaming it all on me :biglaugh:

Cool, I can live with being an awesome enabler . Anything to help out a friend find the fix he needs :music:

Hi Pat..i am going down to the HMS store today..i will see what Corey says about this uke and let you know.....take care for now

Wow, that's a great-sounding instrument, and Corey seems to be channeling Lenny Breau in the video, with all those harmonics! :)

Hi Pat...looks like 14642 is at Andrew's office...but 14643 is here at the store...super nice reddish/brownish Koa and has curl it it ...looks real nice...Corey says all the GL-6 ukes sound about the same....and he likes um....good luck

Patrick, the GL6 is made for nylon strings, not steel. Scale length is about the same as a baritone, nut width is 51 mm or 2", much like a classical guitar. A little too wide for my hand, but other than that, it's a real fun instrument. If you want a small steel string guitar, Pono makes the UL model with six strings as well, looks like they're available right now:

http://ponoguitar.com/index.php/ul-40sp-small-body-parlor-guitar-200.html

Top Bottom