PDA

View Full Version : Question about getting into those tight spots w FPolish?

UkulelesRcooL
06-26-2016, 05:10 PM
My friend is winding down his FPolish on his Paduak/Bubinga Tenor..
Hes found that near the fret board, nut and where the neck meets the body he has a thin strip that is dull compared to the rest of the instrument.
He has tryed to point his pad so that it gets in there but its a slow go..
I was wondering if he just has to put extra effort to get the same results hes gotten on the the rest of the uke or is there some secret to obtaining a good polish so close to the fret board and so on? Thanks in advance..

sequoia
06-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the club. A tough spot. This is where the "nose" on your tampon (!!!) comes in. The only solution I've found is to not over work this area. Swipe with the grain on the neck heal then the sides and get the hell out. If you fiddle around too much in this space you set up a sand-out nightmare. I would love to hear from someone who has mastered this tricky spot.

Briangriffinukuleles
06-26-2016, 08:57 PM
That is a tough place to get a good finish. I have found that after I have finished an application of the entire uke I want to change the cotton patch over the munica (tampon). I take that still moist patch, fold it once and swipe it along the fretboard/top meeting place. It gets into that tight corner far better than the rounded munica. Each new application gets a new cotton patch, that avoids other problems. each old patch gets a swipe at the tough spot.

spongeuke
06-27-2016, 09:14 AM
I've used a neutral color felt pick to replace the munica. It has a nice 90 degree edge and a firm surface, however I still get some unwanted lines.
Brian's solution looks great, why didn't I think of that?

Allen
06-27-2016, 11:17 AM
You can use a purpose made rubber block that is cut something like a pencil eraser that we used in school. Has a wedge shape to it. In fact one of those erasers would be ideal.

Wrap it with your cotton or linen. Apply a touch of shellac to the wedge end and oil if you are using it. A single careful wipe up to those hard to get to areas every time you are doing a pass will build up the finish for you in a nice controlled manner.

UkulelesRcooL
06-27-2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks all for your tips... Sequoia... thats one thing I was thinking about... a sanding nightmare is on the horizon...He was having trouble with it being cloudy... (another thread) and I wanted to give an update, probably should do it there too.. He sanded and it fixed it... cleared things up alot. No more cloudiness.. in fact I was surprised how much better it looked...
But he is having trouble in the tight areas... I would too if it was me... I will relay your ideas to him and I know he will probably try them all...
Thanks!!!:bowdown:

UkulelesRcooL
06-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Each new application gets a new cotton patch, that avoids other problems. each old patch gets a swipe at the tough spot.

Would scratching be one of those problems?

Briangriffinukuleles
06-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Yes Bud, scratching with a dirty cotton patch is the problem I referred to. An old tee shirts will make lots of cotton patches. I figure I can afford to change the patch with each application. In fact, I make three ukes at a time and when finishing them, I use a new patch with each instrument even though I do all three in once application session. The gunk that builds up on that patch will leave scratches.