Bar chords

noukeyet

Reaction score
On Uncle Zac's Standard Chord Chart bar chords are shown using the middle finger (when only one fret is involved). In most other places I've looked it is the first finger regardless of additional notes on other frets or not. Is there a consensus/conventional wisdom on which finger to use to bar?

I'm not familiar with that chord chart, but I've been playing for years and have never seen any chart that indicated barreing with the middle finger - I've always used the index, as does just about every other player I've seen.

I dont know, but I use my middle finger for D7...

I'm not familiar with that chord chart, but I've been playing for years and have never seen any chart that indicated barreing with the middle finger.
I have not seen a chart that tells what finger to bar with either. While I bar with the first finger most of the time, I do use the middle finger some times. I don't know. But not just with bar chords, I don't subscribe to "this finger goes there" method of chording or fretting anyway.

As usual with ukulele: use whatever finger fits best.
Some people use their middle finger to fret the barre and add some additional pressure with their index, some use either finger alone.

And have a look at the surrounding chords in the song: e.g. I use my middle finger in D7 (2223) followed by G7 (0212) for a faster transition

Top Bottom