Low G Songs played with Low G

All things related to linear-tuned ukuleles

pebbleInDaPacific

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just curious and wanted to know if we could start a list of songs you can play that sound Good with the Low G bass string setup. I changed one of my ukes so I could play. Aside from the two here, are there other songs anyone knows that sound good or were played with a low G? Please share, thanks! :shaka:

Iz - Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Jason Mraz w/ Colbie Caillet - Lucky (Sounds good)

I'm familiar with the Iz tune you listed, but not the Jason Mraz song....do you have a version you could post here for us?

Low G

Ohta-san: Song for Anna
Craig Brandau: Tenderly
Tolentino: Over the Rainbow

Wouldn't most songs sound good low g?

I totally agree. My Lanikai tenor is strung with Worths clear low-g and that's what I use almost all the time. We do a medly of Grooven-My Girl-Just my Imagination and it sounds awesome when you use the g-string like a bass.

Besides a handful of songs written with the C string as the bass, I really can't think of any that would sound 'bad" low g.

If it can be played on a guitar....

Wouldn't most songs sound good low g?

Well, sorta. I understand where you are coming from but there are certain songs that just don't sound as good with the low G. I know most people are sick of the reference to this song but a quick example is While My Guitar Gently Weeps. With the low G droning along while wailing on that or even playing the more mellow parts just doesn't do it justice.

Any of the Herb Jr. songs on my site are low G. Pineapple Mango is low G also by Daniel Ho.

Well, sorta. I understand where you are coming from but there are certain songs that just don't sound as good with the low G. I know most people are sick of the reference to this song but a quick example is While My Guitar Gently Weeps. With the low G droning along while wailing on that or even playing the more mellow parts just doesn't do it justice.

Any of the Herb Jr. songs on my site are low G. Pineapple Mango is low G also by Daniel Ho.

I agree that instrumentals written on a uke, especially with reentrant tuning in mind, won't sound as good.

hmmmm....
i must try this so called low G phenomenom ;)

loving the Low G

There are several nice tabs for low G songs on this site:http://www.microshare.net/tabulearn/?page_id=60
They are listed in different "grades" of difficulty. I have been enjoying
Clair De Lune - Debussy (grade 4)
Five Foot Two (grade 3)
Pack Up Your Troubles - Powell (grade 2)
Auld Lang Syne (grade 2)
Arkansas Traveller (grade 3)

–Lori

Bruddah Iz: Somewhere over the rainbow/What a wonderful world.

Well, sorta. I understand where you are coming from but there are certain songs that just don't sound as good with the low G. I know most people are sick of the reference to this song but a quick example is While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

verified. I switched my strings a couple of days ago to low G, and tested them out with this song. I knew the G note was supposed to be an accent note, but it totally drained out the other notes...blech

I didn't know Iz played a low G in somewhere over the rainbow...
The way I learned it was in high G, and you plucked the C string in between strums ???

Thats strange - all the videos I've seen of Bruddah Iz playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World show him playing a tiny soprano, almost sopranino ukulele. I've played along with the recording with both high G and low G ukes and I could swear that it is in high G. But I can't be certain.

Thats strange - all the videos I've seen of Bruddah Iz playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World show him playing a tiny soprano, almost sopranino ukulele. I've played along with the recording with both high G and low G ukes and I could swear that it is in high G. But I can't be certain.

It is very deceiving because IZ was so huge. That is indeed a tenor you have been seeing him with. Unless you have some pics I haven't seen of him with a different uke.

There are several nice tabs for low G songs on this site:http://www.microshare.net/tabulearn/?page_id=60
They are listed in different "grades" of difficulty. I have been enjoying
Clair De Lune - Debussy (grade 4)
Five Foot Two (grade 3)
Pack Up Your Troubles - Powell (grade 2)
Auld Lang Syne (grade 2)
Arkansas Traveller (grade 3)

–Lori

Thanks for the link. That is a cool site.

Pretty much any song that was originally created for guitar will sound good with low g tuning.

I know that some songs like
Cannonball -Damien Rice
only sound good if its played in low g

Top Bottom