another plate jointing method

Timbuck

Reaction score
I usually only use one piece backs and top on my soprano..but lately i've been gifted some sets of Koa and Honduran mahogany..These sets are for bookmatching...and I dont have a shooting plane setup for jointing the plates..But I do have a belt sander...So I worked out this method of getting the joints to match up perfectly front and back at the same time...I set up the sander so I could get an 18 degree scarfe angle..this gives a greater glue area than a straight 90 degree butt joint...here's a few pic's
FIRST SET UP THE SANDER LIKE THIS

THEN CLAMP ALL 4 PIECES TOGETHER

THEN SAND THE ANGLE

ALL DONE IN ABOUT 30 SECONDS

Last edited:
very clever!

I always assumed everyone used a 90 degree joint for bookmatching. guess I should stop assuming things :)

hands up anyone else who scarfs their bookmatched plates?

I know you are too precise to allow this Timbuck, but I would be concerned that inaccurate thicknessing later on might leave me with a wandering join line. Or am I just being paranoid?
Max

hands up anyone else who scarfs their bookmatched plates?
Well yes, I thought I was just being weird. Actually I used it when adding a missing piece to a sound board during some rescue surgery.

Hands up here.... Just remember, if you scarf your book matched plates like that, you have to clamp the plates upside down and backwards when you sand to get them to match up when you flip everything over. Just saying. Think about it. Always gives me a slight headache. You mean I have to think???

Hands up here.... Just remember, if you scarf your book matched plates like that, you have to clamp the plates upside down and backwards when you sand to get them to match up when you flip everything over. Just saying. Think about it. Always gives me a slight headache. You mean I have to think???
Yes ! Thats right..you just match them fold em back to back with the seam facing you and sand em ..
Simple

Ken, I've been joining plates on the belt sander for many years, but with the platen horizontal and without clamps. Took a while to get the hang of it, but once you've got the knack it stays with you. And since all my soprano tops/backs come from the waste of AAA guitar backs/tops I use the stretched masking tape system to join them because of the irregular shapes. Any time I have 15 minutes to spare I can joint/join six or eight sets. Its fun. I must have hundreds of sets stashed away. I've tried to sell a few but got no takers.

Top Bottom