Guitalele - classical guitar strings?

Mivo

Reaction score
I noticed that there is a very limited selection of guitalele-specific strings. Those of you who play guitaleles, especially the Kanile'a/Islander models, are you using classical guitar string sets? Can you? If so, what's the tension like? (20" scale)

I just put a set of Aranjuez concert gold set 700 low gauge classical guitar strings on my guitalele. They are a good match and sound quite nice.

Thank you, I hoped this was the case! :)

I also just found this write-up by Alex of Southern Ukuleles Store in the UK who extensively experimented with guitalele strings: http://www.ukulele.co.uk/gl6strings/ That was a good read.

I've got Thomastik-Infeld flat wound classical guitar strings on my Cordoba Mini, tuned A to A. Sound really nice and the tension is fine too.

here's an impressive guitalele performance...

This is the video that grabbed my attention:

I've got Thomastik-Infeld flat wound classical guitar strings on my Cordoba Mini, tuned A to A. Sound really nice and the tension is fine too.

Can you list which gauges you used? Or did you do the regular set?

I was planning to do this on my mini on the next string change.

This is the video that grabbed my attention:

If that is a brand new Kanile'a GL-6, which it appears to be, I'm guessing that it has the Kanile'a string set mentioned above.

They sound fantastic on my Kanile'a!!

Keep in mind that string selection will not help an Islander sound anywhere near the Kanile'a GL-6.

Thanks for sharing that video.

Wm.

Last edited:
Can you list which gauges you used? Or did you do the regular set?

I was planning to do this on my mini on the next string change.

I just bought the Classic N (CF127) set. They've worked perfectly - worth the extra cost over regular strings as well as I really like the flat wound strings.

I just bought the Classic N (CF127) set. They've worked perfectly - worth the extra cost over regular strings as well as I really like the flat wound strings.

Cool. That makes it easier. I use the TI's on my tenors too for the 3 and 4 strings They blend great with oasis trebles, and generally speaking I like the TI's quite a bit. They're only a smidge more noise than freemont soloist, but they don't stick out as much, making them more mellow, and blended across the strings for finger style.

Here is the simple truth.

Guitalele strings are just classical guitar strings.

No need to pick particular sets or look at gauges.

Classical guitar strings - any - work perfectly fine on guitalele in the guitalele standard tuning.
If some sets are higher or lower tension - that is personal preference, just like classical guitarists have preference.

There is no need to limit your choices to specific guitalele sets. In essence, they too are just shorter classical guitar sets.

To go one further, if you ever want to use low-GCEA tuning on any ukulele, the DGBE strings of any classical guitar string set of your choosing are it.

Cool. That makes it easier. I use the TI's on my tenors too for the 3 and 4 strings They blend great with oasis trebles, and generally speaking I like the TI's quite a bit. They're only a smidge more noise than freemont soloist, but they don't stick out as much, making them more mellow, and blended across the strings for finger style.

Which do you use for your tenor? I'd be keen to try that out!

Baritone-sized guileles are essentially the same scale as 1/2 size guitars. (Tenor scale matches 1/4 size guitars--apparently, guitarists are bad at math.) So if you want standard guitar tuning, consider sets for 1/2 size guitars.

Top Bottom