Good Slack-key Ukulele Tunes?

Captain Google

Ukulele Captain
Reaction score
I recently (just last night, in fact), tuned my baritone uke down to "taro patch" (DGBD), in order to try my hand at playing slack-key. After the initial test, I decided that it was a style I would like to pursue.

My question to UU is this: What are some slack-key songs that would be worth learning?

Have you seen ukeuncle's youtube channel yet? He has quite a few slack key ukulele vids and tutorials in taropatch.

EDIT: he also has slack key ukulele book for sale

Last edited:
I recently (just last night, in fact), tuned my baritone uke down to "taro patch" (DGBD), in order to try my hand at playing slack-key. After the initial test, I decided that it was a style I would like to pursue.

My question to UU is this: What are some slack-key songs that would be worth learning?

My question to you (and UU) is this: what is the definition of "slack-key"? I went to ukeuncle's website and listened to him play (loved it), but as a newbie, I don't know what exactly slack-key refers to.... :eek:

There have been several heated debates at taropatch.net over what defines slack key, and at least one over whether or not you can play true slack key with four strings (given that traditional slack key includes an alternating bass). In fact, If memory serves correctly ukeuncle's videos and book were partially born out of that debate.

I've been a devoted fan of slack key, in particular old-style slack key, for a while and my personal opinion is that at best you can imitate a slack key style with the ukulele. However, I'm a haole and I think you have to have been born and raised on the islands, around older slack key players, to truly be able to answer the question.

Last edited:
Slack Key

Check out Mark Kailana Nelson's Book/CD and his informative website:
http://www.mark-o.com/
His Tabstore might be a good place to investigate.

He is mostly known for his guitar work, but his book (I have had for quite a while) goes into fingerpicking and some slack key variations on uke. Very good for beginning/intermediate players.

Top Bottom