Ko'olau 2008 Concert - thoughts?

etudes

Reaction score
I've been looking to pick up a Concert uke and came across a 2008 Ko'olau C-1 for $500 (apparently in great condition). They run about $1000 new. Any thoughts on a 2008 Ko'alau? Seems like a great deal to me and I've told the owner I'm coming (2 hour drive)..

I would gladly make that drive. Takes about $1500 to get into a Ko'olau now. Your getting a Noa Bonk made piece for the price of a Pono. Just my thoughts.

I would gladly make that drive. Takes about $1500 to get into a Ko'olau now. Your getting a Noa Bonk made piece for the price of a Pono. Just my thoughts.

yes...:agree:

The website does show a C-1 for $1,050 but reading further it appears to be discontinued. The strings are old on it I'm told so it might be a leap of faith concerning tone. I'm committed to the 4 hour driving exercise in any case. I will have used all my UAS chips for the foreseeable future if I find myself driving home with it.. Thanks for your thoughts

If it is in great condition (or even has a few tiny dings on the sides), that sounds like a marvelous deal.

You'd think people who sell a uke for $500+ would at least put new strings on it, if only so that it makes a better impression and has a higher chance of appealing to the potential buyer who inspects it in person. Maybe they don't know how, though, or are intimidated. The first string change worried me quite a bit.

Not a lot of talk around here of Ko'olau, do they have the same thick neck as Pono?

I am looking forward to the conclusion of this thread. As I live in Wisconsin, very near the Minnesota border, I lurk Craigslist looking at instruments--occasionally finding entry-middle level ukuleles at good prices. My goal is to eventually make it to Hawaii and to buy a K model while there (sure, you could order one, but it seems better to buy one in person). I was listening to the Ukulele Site's podcast, and I'm interested in the new KoAloha Opio tenors, which are 1/3 the price of their Hawaiian made brethren.

Anyway, this is a fascinating story. It makes you wonder about the history of the instrument. If a "player" purchased it, it would have newer strings on it. Perhaps the original purchaser became ill, or passed away (I hope not). Or maybe it was purchased by someone with a lot of extra funds that doesn't really care about the price.

My guess is that if they are willing to sell for $500, you can walk away with it for $450. I've simply been e-mailing offers to people on Craigslist and letting them respond (My best offer is going to be $X, and I still need to see it). That saves a lot of time and stress in the transaction on both sides. I even did that for a recent car purchase with a dealer. It sure helps to be able to do price comparisons on the web before making a decision.

If you get it--send pictures and tell us more about the history of the instrument.

Sounds like my kind of deal. Try some Ko'olau Alohi strings on it. My Pono concert sure love's them. Hope it's a sweet one.

Not a lot of talk around here of Ko'olau, do they have the same thick neck as Pono?

The necks on the Ko'olau ukes are a bit thinner, flatter, and more comfortable (IMO ) than what remember about Ponos that I owned a few years ago.

Ko'olau revised their strategy a few years ago, phasing out their lower priced "production" model ukes, and focusing on building fewer custom ukes of superior quality and tone. Smart idea. Demand is up, production limits have thus increased prices. Thus, you don't see as many Ko'olau ukes in the market or forum. There have been some wonderful Ko'olau NUD threads in recent memory.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?121037-NUD-Ko-olau-20-Year-Anniversary-quot-Taro-quot&highlight=Ko%27olau

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?120946-NUD-Ko-olau-Koa-Tenor-T2-from-HMS&highlight=Ko%27olau

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?119127-Almost-NUD!-Ko-olau-Pictures-and-Video-from-HMS!&highlight=Ko%27olau

I had a Ko'olau concert and I loved it! It felt light as air and had a lovely sound.
The neck was not thick. I sold it (with a pang) because I was only playing my sopranos.

Ko'olau is not talked about on the Forum as much as Kamaka and KoAloha, but the quality is deep. I think you will be happy with the purchase.

I am looking forward to the conclusion of this thread. As I live in Wisconsin, very near the Minnesota border, I lurk Craigslist looking at instruments--occasionally finding entry-middle level ukuleles at good prices. My goal is to eventually make it to Hawaii and to buy a K model while there (sure, you could order one, but it seems better to buy one in person). I was listening to the Ukulele Site's podcast, and I'm interested in the new KoAloha Opio tenors, which are 1/3 the price of their Hawaiian made brethren.

Anyway, this is a fascinating story. It makes you wonder about the history of the instrument. If a "player" purchased it, it would have newer strings on it. Perhaps the original purchaser became ill, or passed away (I hope not). Or maybe it was purchased by someone with a lot of extra funds that doesn't really care about the price.

My guess is that if they are willing to sell for $500, you can walk away with it for $450. I've simply been e-mailing offers to people on Craigslist and letting them respond (My best offer is going to be $X, and I still need to see it). That saves a lot of time and stress in the transaction on both sides. I even did that for a recent car purchase with a dealer. It sure helps to be able to do price comparisons on the web before making a decision.

If you get it--send pictures and tell us more about the history of the instrument.

We're set to meet on Friday so I'll send a live post from the meeting place (Starbucks).. It is fascinating. I learned the original owner purchased the Uke from Music Emporium in Lexington Mass. It was given to the guy who has it now.

Thanks for your thoughts. It would be amazing to visit Hawaii and check out the best Ukes in person. I'm hoping my work will take me there sometime in the next year..

I had a Ko'olau concert and I loved it! It felt light as air and had a lovely sound.
The neck was not thick. I sold it (with a pang) because I was only playing my sopranos.

Ko'olau is not talked about on the Forum as much as Kamaka and KoAloha, but the quality is deep. I think you will be happy with the purchase.

Thanks for your insight on the Ko'olau. I'm glad to hear you say it felt light and sounded great. Here's hoping it's not just coffee I'm buying this Friday at the Starbucks (the meeting place)..

How exciting! Hope it's a good one! Let us know!

Thanks! 2016 continues to be a Ukulele adventure. It has helped me keep my sanity when the job is so crazy! I hope this little concert will become my traveling buddy when I work out of town..

How exciting! Hope it's a good one! Let us know!

I bought it! Pushed the trust button because the strings are worn. Could still hear a sweet mellow tone that won me over and it looks and even smells good. She was asking $575 and I paid $500. I'll check in after I change the strings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v1rgdifjmv7e3p/File Jul 01, 1 06 41 PM.jpeg?dl=0

Ko'olaus are AWESOME! You will love it. If, for some strange reason you don't, you could flip it and make a profit at that price. That was a great deal! Congrats!

Great! I hope a string change makes it sing.

Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Top Bottom