FS: New Soprano Ukes - ULO - made by D. Heilman

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
Here is a project I am trying out for the fun of it. I decided to make a inexpensive soprano uke out of all wood that has excellent intonation, low playing action, good volume and a decent sound and try to do it with a limited amount of working time and materials. I call this effort an ULO (oo-low) which stands for a Ukulele Like Object.

The body is constructed of a single piece of 3/4" pine or fir, a solid cedar or spruce top plate and a 1/4" plywood back. Body thickness is 1 1/8". The inside hollow chamber is 3/4" thick. The neck does have a 1/4" diameter steel truss rod. It has only one top brace and a bridge patch. The bridge is the string though type and is made of mahogany or rosewood with a ebony saddle and nut. The fingerboard is hardwood, in this case Koa, with small uke frets, 12 to the body. Playing scale is 13 3/4". There are plastic dot position markers at the 5,7,and 10th frets, white side dots included. The finish is one coat of white sealer paint and one coat of colorful spray paint, right off the store shelf. I do not use stains. The tuners are Grover friction type, inexpensive but they work well. The strings are Worth brand. That's it!

The sound as you might expect is on the treble end, harp-like, although it still sounds like a uke. They all have very good volume and even though they are made with different woods, sound pretty much the same. Here is a description of each.

#001 - Red finish, Cedar top with a VG Fir body wood. 15 frets.
#002 - Colorful mosaic paint or as I like to call it, Clown Barf. Spruce top with a pine body. 12 frets.
#003 - Powder light Blue finish, Cedar top with a pine wood body. 12 frets.

Satisfaction guaranteed. Made in the USA by D. Heilman. No case but double boxed for safe shipping. Shipping is $20 in the lower 48 states. No dealers please.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do not take Paypal or other credits cards. I do take money orders, personal checks or a bank draft for payment. Sorry again.

Price is $150 each.

Attachments

• 2016-6-28 ULO - a.jpg
    2016-6-28 ULO - a.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 2016-6-28 ULO - b.jpg
    2016-6-28 ULO - b.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 2016-6-28 ULO - c.jpg
    2016-6-28 ULO - c.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
PM sent -- this is so cool

Last edited:
Blue one please! PM sent. Thank you

Lordy how I wish I had a spare $150. I am sure these are excellent. I don't suffer from much UAS, but a Black Bear is kind of my dream uke.

OK, thanks for all the PM's and comments. I need to clarify a few things. The body is hollow and the inside thickness is 3/4", with the back and top the overall thickness is 1 1/8". The finish is paint, not stain. I have to confirm some of the PM's I received, but I do believe they are all sold, but maybe not. I will be selling the ukes in the order the PM's came in. I will get back to this thread after I have had a chance to sort thing out. Thanks for all the interest.

I often check this site several times a day...but today I was too occupied with my real life! If you take orders later, I am in and paint is great.

I will be away from my computer until Saturday evening, if you PM me , I'll get back to you then.

All 3 ULO's have been sold, thanks for your interest. I will be making more in the near future and offering them for sale on this site.

Feels like Xmas in July!

Just a heads up! "BlackBearUkes has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

And a thank you to your last message!

Top Bottom