Box Bass Ukulele

DanielHulbert

Reaction score
I finished building this bass ukulele over the weekend.

front.jpg

I used some silver-plated round-wound bass ukulele strings made by La Bella. The body is a 6 piece laser cut box from C.B. Gitty. The scale length is 21.5 inches and it's tuned like a normal bass guitar.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The neck is bolt-on style.

IMG_6432.jpg

The neck is maple with a rosewood neck. The undersaddle piezo is connected directly to the output jack.

I really like the strings I used. Even without a amp, they still put out enough volume for personal practice.

Here's a demo video:

Very cool!

Did you make the neck or buy it?

I love the look of it and the sound is amazing! I need to build something like that although I haven't a clue how to play a bass!

Bob

nice bass, nice demo. Thanks for posting.

Very nice, good job, I like it. I have a feeling the new Kala round wound nylon core strings are actually those LaBella. What model number are they and where did you buy them? In fact, where did you buy all the parts?

Much has already been answered on his YouTube page if you click on the logo in the video. I'm really liking the electric bass sound with these strings. It has me again wanting to build a cbbu though I believe I'll not use a box. I must admit I'm not a fan of the laser cut box and just think an old wine box would be so sexy compared. Not to poop on this build just my artistic eye taking over my mouth...err fingers.

Very nice, good job, I like it. I have a feeling the new Kala round wound nylon core strings are actually those LaBella. What model number are they and where did you buy them? In fact, where did you buy all the parts?

Awesome build Daniel, You never fail to impress with your creations! Thanks for sharing :music:

Methinks these are the strings from MFC (Magic Fluke Company) for their Timber Fluke bass, due to the way the taper is wound at the bridge-end of the strings. AFAICT, these Timber strings are made by La Bella, but I cannot find them for sale anywhere else besides the MFC web site ($28).

TimberStrings-2.jpg

http://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/timberstrings.htm

@kohanmike - Do the Kala roundwound U-Bass strings have such a taper?

Methinks these are the strings from MFC (Magic Fluke Company) for their Timber Fluke bass, due to the way the taper is wound at the bridge-end of the strings. AFAICT, these Timber strings are made by La Bella, but I cannot find them for sale anywhere else besides the MFC web site ($28).

Yep. That's where I got them.

The rest of the hardware was either C.B. Gitty or eBay. The bridge is an acoustic bass guitar bridge with top loading strings.

@kohanmike - Do the Kala roundwound U-Bass strings have such a taper?

They look exactly like the Kala. I would describe the thicker ones as having two layers, a round wound outer layer and a smoother inner layer that extends beyond the outer layer on both ends, the thinnest G string extends only on the barrel side. The four string sleeves are stamped 050, 065, 095 and 110. Very interesting, it would be great if La Balla would make them in flat wound, still too much string noise with these.

Top Bottom