Blackbird Clara heat effects

warndt

Reaction score
I'm curious, since these have now been around awhile...has anyone had a bridge let go due to heat?

I'm sure that by now, a few of you have have put a Clara in the trunk and happened to forget about it for a few days.

Arizona? Texas? California? Anybody?

Last edited:
I'm curious, since these have now been around awhile...has anyone had a bridge let go due to heat.

I'm sure that by now a few of you have have put a Clara in the trunk and just forgot about it for a few days.

Arizona? Texas? California?

I've not left it in a trunk anywhere. But I have taken it on a drive trip in high Summer from Kansas to Arizona & back with no adverse effects. Why would you think the bridge would let go?

I also keep a Flea in my car in all weathers. From Summer high interior temps of 140° to Winter lows below zero. No problems. Even the 3 year old Martin strings sound good.

Blackbird recommends keeping it below 120F. The following is from their website:

"Blackbirds endure heat better than wood guitars, but it is best that you treat your instrument more-or-less as you would yourself. So sustained temps of 150f (65c) and above are not advised- a temp that can be reached in a hot car in very hot conditions. In these cases, keep the guitar out of direct sun, in its case and detuned. Wait until the instrument cools down until you tune it back up. These are precautions and if the temp does not exceed 120f (50c) there will be no problem."

Why would you think the bridge would let go?

It is the only glued joint on that instrument that I'm aware of ... especially one that would probably be the first thing to let go under extreme temperatures, This is the same with most ukuleles, due to the effects of temperature combined with pressure.

Last edited:
I think the plastic will warp before the glue lets go.

Bridges pop all the time...usually it is directly due to the effects of heat.

The glue softens with the heat, and loses adhesion to the top while under tension. Is it different with Ekoa vs wooden tops and wooden bridges?

Has anyone had the bridge glue let loose with Blackbird's use of Ekoa?

Last edited:
"Blackbirds endure heat better than wood guitars, but it is best that you treat your instrument more-or-less as you would yourself. So sustained temps of 150f (65c) and above are not advised- a temp that can be reached in a hot car in very hot conditions. In these cases, keep the guitar out of direct sun, in its case and detuned. Wait until the instrument cools down until you tune it back up. These are precautions and if the temp does not exceed 120f (50c) there will be no problem."

Uh...no kidding.

It has sat in the back of my van this summer while I ate dinner after a Monday night jam. I'm in Alabama. No extreme temperatures, but lots of heat and humidity. So far, so good.

Not a Clara, but a Fluke..........forgot it in the trunk for about 3 days in southwest Florida. Outdoor daytime temp of high 90's. Who knows how hot in the trunk; 110?
Anyway, no ill effects. Takes a lickin and.......................

No experience with Claras (yet), but I found out that Makala Dolphins can stand up to many days locked in a SUV in the Florida summer sun, with no ill effects.

Top Bottom