Martin uke date help

maxr

Reaction score
Hi: I'd appreciate some dating help with a Martin uke. I think it's an M2 - all mahogany, triple top binding white on outside, single white back binding, 12 bar frets, tiny bone (?) fret dots. Patent chromed/nickel (?) pegs with ivoroid style buttons, CF Martin &Co. Nazareth stamp in back of headstock and inside but no transfer on the headstock front like modern Martins, nor any sign of an old one having been removed.

My deceased father in law Bill Hilton played this at Uke Soc of GB and George Formby Soc meetings in England. He bought it in about 1992 from a guy called A F Nicolle, who I think lived in London and was active in these socs.

Any ideas on date from these details please? One net source suggests it might be 1927-32 with this combo of patent pegs but no transfer.

Thanks, Max

They started using the headstock decal in 1934, I believe. And started using T frets in 1935. That's as much as I can tell you, yours is surely pre-1934.

pictures would help...

Thanks UkerDanno, here are some pics:
Martin Uke front.jpg
Martin Uke Back.jpg
Martin Uke Head back.jpg
Martin Uke Head face.jpg
Martin Uke side.jpg

According to Tom Walsh's book, The Martin Ukulele, by the Grover No. 76 tuning pegs it is from 1923 - 1927.

Top Bottom