Upgrade?

alisamamos

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope you are well! The ukulele am learning on is technically not mine and while I know my dad isn't super desperate to get it back, I have been looking for a middle of the road/higher end uke that won't completely empty my pockets. I like the look of the Luna heartstring w/ USB, it's acoustic/electric.

Does anyone have any reviews or suggestions?

Not much to go on. What size? What budget?

Concert size and I found it for either $199 or $170ish? Can't remember exactly. I don't really want to go above $300.

Hi Alisa
Welcome to UU! What is your budget? What size are you playing now? Are there any ukulele groups or stores nearby for you to try out some ukes? I haven't tried the Luna Heartstring, or heard it's electric amped sound. If you can try in person, that is always best. Different neck shapes, wood type, etc can all effect how you feel about the instrument. Take your time shopping. It is half the fun.
In general, I have had good results with Kala, Ohana, Mainland and Fluke/ Flea.

–Lori

I just found a smaller music store near me but i have a three year old who definitely can't come with me so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out there

While I have never played a Luna, people who own them have good things to say about them. Having a young child myself, I completely understand the constraints with going to a store in person. So here would be my two cents...

You mention the Luna you were looking at is a concert. Is that the size you are currently learning on? If so, and you like that size I would highly recommend ordering an Ohana from Mim (www.mimsukes.com) or Mike at Uke Republic (www.ukerepublic.com). They are both great people and do a complete setup on all their ukuleles, making sure they are good. As for the brand, I love Ohanas. IMHO, they are the best Chinese made ukuleles out there. As Lori mentioned, you would also have good luck with Kala or Mainland as well.

You also mentioned the Luna has an electric pick up. Unless you're planning on playing on stage/in public, this is probably not something you need right now. If your uke has one, great! I just wouldn't pass up on one just because it doesn't have a pickup (plus they can always be added later if you find you need one).

Good luck with your search!

Hi alisa,

I echo the good advice you've gotten here. As a relative newbie myself, I know firsthand how important the setup is. You cannot go wrong with an Ohana from Mim. I just got an Ohana Sopranismo from her (itty bitty teeny tiny!) and the strings feel absolutely perfect on my fingers. I've got a Lanikai concert that I love. I found it hanging on the wall of my local Guitar Center and it was the best feeling and sounding of all they had. The action is a tad high, however, so I'm toying with the idea of sanding the saddle down myself. I think most ukes are shipped with high action, so if you went with a Luna, you'd be risking that high action.

That's okay if you truly love the uke. Just take it to a luthier and get a set up. But..

If I were in the market for a concert size, I would absolutely buy from Mim. She will set it up right and you could open up the box and it would be perfect!

I echo the good advice you've gotten here.

Same here, especially about buying from a dealer includes a setup in the price. Kala and Ohana are both respected brands and have nice solid-top and all solid-wood instruments at nice prices.

Good luck, and let us know what you got!

+1 on Mainland. We have two - a concert and tenor (rosewood with cedar tops). Outstanding for the price.

Mike is excellent to deal with too

Good luck.

See PM re: Kala solid mahogany concert cutaway with pickup for under $200

Members of my uke group have Ohana, Kala, Mainland, and Luna brand ukuleles. They all love them. I have a concert Ohana and it is a great instrument. When I bought it, I couldn't find the one I was looking for anywhere but at a little shop in Washington State. So, I ordered it without the setup and took it to my local guitar shop to be setup. Plays great. I have a soprano Ohana from Mim and the setup on that one is also great.

The excitement of getting a new and improved ukulele is a wonderful thing! I hope you enjoy the shopping experience!

Top Bottom