Thomastik-Infeld Wound String trimming question

raduray

Reaction score
So I'm using one of the Thomatik-Infeld wound strings for the first time, a CF27 as a C string. When I trimmed off the excess at the tuning peg, it unraveled all the way to where it was captured by the other turns on the peg. I'm concerned that it may slip after awhile and am curious about how to prevent this in the future. I've used South Coast, Fremont Soloist, and D'Addario wound strings in the past and haven't had this problem.

I use really sharp pliers.

When you cut it should come off cleanly. If it doesn't, don't pull, cut again.

If you use really sharp pliers.. this should be much less of a problem.

When I first started with classical type strings I had the unwinding issue because I was using regular house pliers. After the second time, I went and bought "precision" pliers. They are typically sold in a set of 6-8, and are smaller hand tools. I've seen similar sets at michael's craft in the beading section. You might be able to find just the cutting one there for less than the set.

Anyway... if you're not getting clean cuts, you need sharper tools.

I use really sharp pliers.

When you cut it should come off cleanly. If it doesn't, don't pull, cut again.

If you use really sharp pliers.. this should be much less of a problem.

When I first started with classical type strings I had the unwinding issue because I was using regular house pliers. After the second time, I went and bought "precision" pliers. They are typically sold in a set of 6-8, and are smaller hand tools. I've seen similar sets at michael's craft in the beading section. You might be able to find just the cutting one there for less than the set.

Anyway... if you're not getting clean cuts, you need sharper tools.

That could be the problem. I was using the cutter on the end of my tuner winder. Not exactly a precision cutter.

With the Thomastik strings, and any other classical strings, after you cut the end, if you light a match, and ever so slightly burn the end so that the inner nylon fibers form a ball, and just touch it with something flat like the side of a knife or flat screwdriver blade, it will force the plastic to curl back OVER the edges of the metal windings. Thus capturing the windings and preventing future unraveling.

Also, as an alternative, after you cut the string, you can paint a few drops of clear nail polish over the last 5mm of the string end, which also will stop the windings from coming apart. the downside to this is the smell of the nail polish (which is gone once it cures and dries) and also the time you need to wait for it to dry (maybe 30 mins?).

I have done both of the above many MANY times, each with good success to prevent wound strings from coming apart after cutting.

Also, with the Thomastik strings, if you want to cut off the red silk overwrap part at the bridge end, you can also do either of the above to prevent the string from unwinding.

I have also tried the precision cutters, but have been unlucky to still have a problem, and thus found the above additional solutions to work well for me.

It just feels a bit funny as a man buying clear nail polish in the store, and the teenage girl behind the counter always giggles at me when I go to pay for it. It's not like I'm buying PINK nail polish but she laughs any way. :)

Right? I bought black nailpolish to fix a blem on black plastic piece in my car. The clerk was like "are you closet goth?"

It's not like I'm buying PINK nail polish but she laughs any way.

What's wrong with pink? Have a great 4th. Nothing like summer at the Jersey shore!

It's not like I'm buying PINK nail polish but she laughs any way.

What's wrong with pink? Have a great 4th. Nothing like summer at the Jersey shore!

Thanks - been there - done that - from North Jersey, down and back, even to Bradly Beach or Point Pleasant, there's always AT LEAST 3 hrs ADDITIONAL time spent in the car each way due to the insane traffic congestion. Last time I thought I was gonna have to kill myself. That was 10 yrs ago. Quiet night in front of the PBS special 'A Capitol Fourth' is more my speed these days :eek:ld:

But enjoy the beach - I love the beach. :)

Last edited:
If the girl in the store giggling bugs you too much then buy some fly tying cement at a sporting goods store. :D

no bother, she's just a giggle-monster

if said sporting goods store has some decent Japanese premium fluoro fishing leader in gauges from 20# to 80# on 15 yrd spools, then I be there, since I want to test it's use it for uke strings, but I aint laying out the $150 for 7x 25/30 yrd spools in 10# increments from 20# to 80#, until I know for sure I'm going to like it....

Top Bottom