Collings vs Mya Moe Tenor

raduray

Reaction score
I'd like to hear some feedback from folks who have played both Collings and Mya Moe tenors. How do they compare in playability? How does the sound compare if you've tried them with the same tone wood?

One thing I know is that the Mya Moe has a truss rod. Don't know if the Collings does and I'm wondering about the long term structural stability.

I have a Collings which sounds better and is easier to play than my old Pono, and I can't keep my hands off it, but I'm curious about the Mya Moe. I'm convinced that a better instrument makes sense, even for a beginner.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine with a Collings, that's a very fine instrument indeed ;).

You are comparing awesome to awesome. Can't go wrong either way. In my experience both have incredible playability. I prefer the tone of the Collings. To my ears they are a little bassier and fuller sounding. I think Mya-Moe tenors tend to be brighter and accentuate the highs a little more. Still sound beautiful though.

You might have a hard time coming up with a consensus on that comparison.

did not know that Mya Moe ukes have a truss rod...I know Pono does but I never saw a Mya Moe or a Collings with a truss rod..maybe I missed it.....if you like bright tones these ukes are good for you....way different from the ukes built in Hawaii...IMO

Last edited:
I owned a Collings UT2 and a Mya Moe sycamore tenor together for about a one year period. They are both on the slightly smaller body size side of tenors, compared to say a Pono. Both have a 12" radius, Collings is 13 frets to the body and Mya Moe are 14, necks are similar, medium depth. Both are very light weight and well balanced. Mya Moe uses a Tru Oil finish which does not look as high class and stunning as the high gloss finish of a Collings.

But I know what you really want to know..............which one sounds better. Both are great in their own way, personal preference will rule. Mahogany is warm and full, Collings is nice and resonant. The sycamore Mya Moe had a good mid range tone and very good volume, it had big head room, would handle heavy strumming better than the Collings. Both were articulate and very true up the neck. Both are world class instruments. I think you need to buy a Mya Moe and find out for yourself. ;)

Interesting reading DownUpDave. I have a Collings which I love, and a Mya Moe on order, so I guess I will be in the privileged position to experience both. I'm just blown away by the build quality of the Collings, and it has a lovely feel; the neck shape, fingerboard and overall weight and balance. I know the Mya Moe will be different (different tone woods, and one will be low-g) but I know it will be good.

I think the Youtube tenor comparison in a bit of a misnomer really; other than a physical comparison, it's more of a soft vs hard tone wood comparison to me. Entertaining none the less.

did not know that Mya Moe ukes have a truss rod...I know Pono does but I never saw a Mya Moe or a Collings with a truss rod..maybe I missed it.....if you like bright tones these ukes are good for you....way different from the ukes built in Hawaii...IMO

My Pono had an adjustable truss rod. I didn't know Mya Moe had a truss rod until I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9phiE5Ctdk&index=23&list=PL9ineHEyzMZerLSvJ2Kzt-DOzL30hh_bd
I don't think it's adjustable though.

Last edited:
I owned a Collings UT2 and a Mya Moe sycamore tenor together for about a one year period. They are both on the slightly smaller body size side of tenors, compared to say a Pono. Both have a 12" radius, Collings is 13 frets to the body and Mya Moe are 14, necks are similar, medium depth. Both are very light weight and well balanced. Mya Moe uses a Tru Oil finish which does not look as high class and stunning as the high gloss finish of a Collings.

But I know what you really want to know..............which one sounds better. Both are great in their own way, personal preference will rule. Mahogany is warm and full, Collings is nice and resonant. The sycamore Mya Moe had a good mid range tone and very good volume, it had big head room, would handle heavy strumming better than the Collings. Both were articulate and very true up the neck. Both are world class instruments. I think you need to buy a Mya Moe and find out for yourself. ;)

One of the perks of having a friend with UAS is you get to try his stuff out.

While I liked both, I preferred the Mya Moe's sound and the thinness of the neck which made barring for me so much easier.

..I have a Collings which I love, and a Mya Moe on order, so I guess I will be in the privileged position to experience both. I'm just blown away by the build quality of the Collings, and it has a lovely feel; the neck shape, fingerboard and overall weight and balance...

I share your sentiments re: Collings. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Mya Moe when it arrives.

I share your sentiments re: Collings. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Mya Moe when it arrives.
me too. I had a sycamore MM and have a mahog Collings so it's not an apples to apples comparison, but I sold the MM and couldn't bear to part with the Collings.

Collings vs. Mya-moe .... My all myrtle Mya-Moe is warmer and has more overtones than my spruce/maple Collings. My Collins is brighter and punchier. They have equally good playability. My Mya-Moe oh is strung low g, while my Collins is strung reentrant. They sound different enough that I really shouldn't compare them. Yes, the Collings has a nice gloss finish but the Myamoe oil finish feels great on the neck, makes it a fast neck. Depending on the wood and the strings, YMMV. I have both, and not planning to sell either.

Top Bottom