In Hawaii - caught the Uke Bug - where to buy?

icul8rg8r

Reaction score
I'm here in Waikiki and have caught the Ukulele bug - want to buy and take one home with me (Seattle). Not a toy souvenir but a real Ukelele.

Visited the Polynesian Cultural Center and took a free beginning lesson (never even held one before then) and fell in love with it! Spent about an hour there trying out different sizes/models. Didn't buy there - figured they were way over-priced, but since researching the past couple days, I've realized I'm going to have to pay at least $100 for a decent beginner concert uke.

Any suggestions of reputable sellers in Honolulu that will also set up within 2 days so I can take it home with me and not have to pay shipping? Or offer free shipping?

I'm looking at getting the Kala-CEM Natural (love the looks of the exotic mahogany). Was able to hold and play and loved the feel and sound. Although the looks of the Luna Tattoo is so appealing to me! But I haven't held or played the Luna.

Appreciate your suggestions!

Last edited:
I'd recommend either Hawaii Music Supply in Haleiwa (north shore of Oahu), or Ukulele Puapua or Goodguys Music and Sound both in Honolulu. I've dealt with them all and found them all reputable. If I had to choose one I'd go with HMS in Haleiwa. They have a great selection and everything is setup.

The Kala's are good starters, I had a Kala-CG for a while and liked it but traded up for an Ohana CK-22, I thought the Spruce top might be better, not that it is, just different. Make sure you get a tuner, as they come in real handy, and they are pretty cheap.

Seconding HMS for selection and setup, but it's worth your time to stop in at Goodguys as well - I've seen interesting one-off instruments and really good deals there. Plus, it's on Kapahulu Avenue, which is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Honolulu. It's an easy walk from the tourist center of Waikiki but you feel miles away in a different "locals" world. A few other places worth stopping in are on Kapahulu as well: Bailey's, for the best aloha shirts in town; Irifune Japanese restaurant; for Hawaiian food Rainbow Drive-In, Zippy's, or Ono; for dessert, Leonard's Bakery and Waiola Shave Ice are on cross-streets off of Kapahulu.

And there you have it. Add in a trip to the beach - any beach - and I've just described my perfect day in Honolulu! Have fun shopping :)

One more vote for HMS.

Seconding HMS for selection and setup, but it's worth your time to stop in at Goodguys as well - I've seen interesting one-off instruments and really good deals there. Plus, it's on Kapahulu Avenue, which is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Honolulu. It's an easy walk from the tourist center of Waikiki but you feel miles away in a different "locals" world. A few other places worth stopping in are on Kapahulu as well: Bailey's, for the best aloha shirts in town; Irifune Japanese restaurant; for Hawaiian food Rainbow Drive-In, Zippy's, or Ono; for dessert, Leonard's Bakery and Waiola Shave Ice are on cross-streets off of Kapahulu.

And there you have it. Add in a trip to the beach - any beach - and I've just described my perfect day in Honolulu! Have fun shopping :)

And if it is not too crowded, the Side Street Inn on Da Strip is a must - fried chicken, yum!

Another recommendation for HMS and it depends on your interpretation of the word "decent." To most of us here, a "decent" concert uke costs more than $100....how much more depends on how much decent we can afford. To me, a new decent concert starts at about $350-$500 and goes up from there.

I always recommend Hawaii Music Supply in Haleiwa but if you can't get there, The Ukulele Store in Waikiki is a new shop I have heard good things about. 226 Lewers St, suite 218

A couple of thoughts

I'm here in Waikiki and have caught the Ukulele bug - want to buy and take one home with me (Seattle). Not a toy souvenir but a real Ukelele.

Visited the Polynesian Cultural Center and took a free beginning lesson (never even held one before then) and fell in love with it! Spent about an hour there trying out different sizes/models. Didn't buy there - figured they were way over-priced, but since researching the past couple days, I've realized I'm going to have to pay $100 for a decent concert uke.

Any suggestions of reputable sellers in Honolulu that will also set up within 2 days so I can take it home with me and not have to pay shipping? Or offer free shipping?

I'm looking at getting the Kala KA-C or the Kala-CEM (love the looks of the exotic mahogany). Was able to hold and play both and loved the feel and sound.

Appreciate your suggestions!

I'd try some different sizes to see which fits you best before you buy a Ukulele. Also, the different sizes, what the instrument is made of and the way they are strung sound different so keep that also in mind because there is no sense in buying a high-g soprano koa when you really love the sound of a low-g mahogany tenor. Note, there is nothing wrong with buying a ukulele that costs in the $100 range (if it's setup properly) but note that you'll probably eventually want to buy something better and if you plan on being serious about the ukulele you might as well save some money and buy a "keeper" now. I learned this the hard way with different instruments in the past. The cheapest keepers I can recommend are Ponos..

Note, buying in Hawaii is often more painful than buying via the Internet because you'll have to pay taxes and carry it onto the plane... and if what you buy is over a certain price the shipping is often free. I'd say shop in Hawaii and buy at home.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input! Don't have a car with us, so my plan is if I can't find a store that can set up a Ukulele for me before we leave Thursday, I will buy online from HMS and go ahead and pay the shipping. HMS is taking about 10-15 days to set up.

I have never played any instrument other than piano, so I thought the Kala Concert (that I touched and played and loved) would be a great starter and around $105 - $125. But want to keep my options open if I can get one set up and able to take home with me. Just love the idea of being able to say I bought it in Hawaii....

... Just love the idea of being able to say I bought it in Hawaii....

I don't blame you. It would be a lovely memory for you. And if you are truly bitten by the bug, you will want one in your hands now...

Why don't you see if any of those stores that have been suggested have a nice used one? Then your money will go farther, and not only will you have bought a ukulele in Hawaii, but you will have a bought a ukulele once owned by a Hawaiian.

Think of the mojo!

I also recommend HMS. However, be advised that the place is actually called The Ukulele Site in its signage, so if you go up to Haleiwa looking for a sign that says HMS, you won't find it.

I would always go to Hawaiian Music Supply in Haleiwa. Great store with lots of ukuleles with wonderful service and set ups. Very reputable.

.... The Ukulele Store in Waikiki is a new shop I have heard good things about. 226 Lewers St, suite 218

Since I'm in WAikiki without a car I walked over to Lewers Street (Beachwalk) to check out the Ukulele Store. Spoke at length with the owner, Tyler, got a free lesson, but most importantly played several Ukes from his vast selection! Great little store, competitive prices in all price ranges, and excellent customer service. Did not buy a Concert for me, but ended up getting a starter Kala Soprano KA-15S beginner pack for both me and my son to share and learn. Sounds and looks great. And am very happy to go home with a real Ukulele from Hawaii! Already have my eye on a nicer Concert size that I will probably buy from HMS on our next trip to Hawaii!

Nice going. I remember there is a uke store in the bottom of the tower I stayed in at Hilton Hawaiian Village in May. Congrats on your purchase. I ended up on Maui and wanted a uke from
Hawaii as well. So I did the same. Everyone wants to talk about my uke I got in Hawaii when they ask about my trip. You will enjoy it very much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom