Southern Cross Banjo Ukulele available

Status
Not open for further replies.

danersen

Reaction score
Hello,

I am sorting through instruments that I have acquired for various projects and personal interests, but have not played recently.

This Southern Cross banjo ukulele is one of them. I acquired it for use in a muppet extravaganza for accompanying Kermit's Rainbow Connection, and it performed most admirably. Unfortunately, I just haven't played it since.

I've kept it somewhat out of rarity, sentimentality, and somewhat out of laziness as I've misplaced the paperwork with the specifics re: the various wood species used, tuners, head skin, hardware, etc.

I seem to recall that this may be among - if not the last - laminate rims that Dennis made before moving to block construction.

Dennis - if you are out there, might you be able to assist with specifics and accuracy.

It sounds as great as it looks, and someone seeking this sound could not find better, in my opinion. Great intonation and cosmetically in near-new condition except for some marks on the skin and a ding on the removable resonator back visible in photo.

I admit to having no idea what the fair price for both buyer and seller might be for this instrument. Qualified and unqualified opinions are welcome - as are thoughtful offers and expressions of interest for a "final sale" consistent with my downsizing initiative which also excludes trades.

You are welcome to contact me directly at: "danersen" using gmail.

Be Well,
Dan

Last edited:
I've not yet gotten into the banjo sound myself, but practically every time I see a Southern Cross banjolele I think I should get one. The ones I've seen are all so nicely done. Surely somebody will jump on this.

Hello,

I am sorting through instruments that I have acquired for various projects and personal interests, but have not played recently.

This Southern Cross banjo ukulele is one of them. I acquired it for use in a muppet extravaganza for accompanying Kermit's Rainbow Connection, and it performed most admirably. Unfortunately, I just haven't played it since.

I've kept it somewhat out of rarity, sentimentality, and somewhat out of laziness as I've misplaced the paperwork with the specifics re: the various wood species used, tuners, head skin, hardware, etc.

I seem to recall that this may be among - if not the last - laminate rims that Dennis made before moving to block construction.

Dennis - if you are out there, might you be able to assist with specifics and accuracy.

It sounds as great as it looks, and someone seeking this sound could not find better, in my opinion. Great intonation and cosmetically in near-new condition except for some marks on the skin and a ding on the removable resonator back visible in photo.

I admit to having no idea what the fair price for both buyer and seller might be for this instrument. Qualified and unqualified opinions are welcome - as are thoughtful offers and expressions of interest for a "final sale" consistent with my downsizing initiative which also excludes trades.

You are welcome to contact me directly at: "danersen" using gmail.

Be Well,
Dan

Hi, It may well be the last laminated rim I made, I can't be absolutely certain. Not even sure of the timbers but suspect that the headstock and fb are Tasmanian blackwood and the neck is possibly Rimu. The resonator is Burr Walnut I think. Anyway it looks in good condition and a nice little trip down memory lane. It is over a year since I built anything, moved house and had lots of renovating and decorating to do, then had to build a workshop which I just finished. So my first build for quite a while is under way.

On reflection I think the resonator may actually be birds eye Maple.

Dennis,
Thanks for helping.
Congratulations, too!
Be Well,
Dan

Little bump for Dan, here. I thought for a few days about getting this myself as Dan said he is looking for $400 for this, which I think is quite a "bah-gan". Somebody should be quite happy with it!

Hi, It may well be the last laminated rim I made, I can't be absolutely certain. Not even sure of the timbers but suspect that the headstock and fb are Tasmanian blackwood and the neck is possibly Rimu. The resonator is Burr Walnut I think. Anyway it looks in good condition and a nice little trip down memory lane. It is over a year since I built anything, moved house and had lots of renovating and decorating to do, then had to build a workshop which I just finished. So my first build for quite a while is under way.

Nope Dennis, not the last laminated rim you made, I have that one. I bought it second hand a couple of months ago, payed $425-. Beautiful looking and sounding banjo uke, I like it very much !

Nope Dennis, not the last laminated rim you made, I have that one. I bought it second hand a couple of months ago, payed $425-. Beautiful looking and sounding banjo uke, I like it very much !

Ok I stand corrected, well I'm sitting so actually I sit corrected :D Either way congrats on purchasing a Southern Cross, and I am glad you are enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom