NUD I'iwi Redwood Walnut tenor

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The very first time I saw an I'iwi tenor I was fascinated by the unique shape. It reminds me of a dreadnaught guitar in it's shape and it has a very guitar like sound. The three sound holes really appeal to me from a visual point of view. It is so different I am sure some people would be put off by the appearance. I have been looking at and lusting after one of these for 2 years now. Charlie Fukuba is the luthier who builds these and has been doing so for over 20 years in Hawaii. He makes this model primarily with all koa, spruce and koa, redwood and macassar ebony. My favorite sound was always the redwood top.

About 4 weeks ago Andrew had posted a video on HMS vimeo channel of this instrument. I loved the sound and it was just posted so I emailed Andrew to ask questions about it and to see if it was for sale as it was not up on the Ukulele Site yet. He responded that he was just putting it up, it was a redwood top with a curly Claro Walnut back. Well that did it, I love walnut and that is the first I'iwi I had ever seen with a walnut back and sides. I bought it before it actually made the Ukulele Site front page so no one has really had a chance to see this particular ukulele that Charlie Fukuba made.

The tone is huge, full, deep, resonant with piles of overtones. It is incredible, everyone that has played it or listened to it is really impressed. I was very lucky to be at the right place at the right time.

full front.jpgright back.jpgback.jpg3-4 front.jpg

Last edited:
The Rewood top has a clear pick guard running half way down. Redwood being very soft it is there to protect it. You can see it around the sound holes. The binding is a very nice curly maple and around the top and sound holes is done in mother of pearl.

side.jpgheadstock.jpgsound holes.jpgFront.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Dave,

This is a fabulous instrument.

I have played it a few times and can attest that it is world class in finishes and sound.

Congrats on a superb purchase.

This instrument comes with a radius fretboard, a nice medium size rounded neck profile and medium large fretwires. These are all things I like because through trial and error these features help to make an instrument easy for me to play. It is light in weight and very well balanced, playability is excellent. It is strung with Oasis warm low G including a wound 3rd from South Coast. Here is a sound sample just quickly recorded straight into my Samsung phone.

https://app.box.com/s/2nf7d38hcesmipybblz8xg3mnsw8opko

Attachments

• left back.jpg
    left back.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Congratulations, Dave! That is so beautiful. Love everything about it. The sound holes, the walnut, the hummingbird.

Play with joy!

Can't deny the beauty of redwood and walnut! I'm sure the combo sounds lovely! Still loving my Mya moe with same combo, good call on the pick guard, Aaron recommended it for mine and installed it too.

He shoots, he SCORES!!! Nice one, Dave!

So, you may have found your holy grail. Or um, holey uke? Lucky man!

That is sooo funny, holey uke, I love it:p

I name all my ukes but have not been able to come up with a name for this one. Maybe holey Holley or just Holley for short. It is now offically Holley, thanks

@sam13......thanks for your support and encouragement, you know I have been smitten by these. I know you enjoyed it

@Ohiobelle.....very nice compliments, I appreciate it. I think it is an I'iwi bird from Hawaii on the headstock but I might be out to lunch on that

@Restar24......hey Ryan I always love the sound of your Mya Moe redwood walnut, didn't know it had a pickguard as well

@Camuke.......thank you so much Campbell, this was a very unexpected addition but one I have wanted for a very long time. Brenda makes it sound fabulous with the songs you do for her.

@ Ukulele Eddie........excellent hockey reference eh!!! Scores for sure.

Congrats Dave. I saw the video, but wondered why it never appeared on the site. Now I know. Fantastic sounding uke! Love them I'iwis!

Dave , you did it again grab the uke under my nose? (just kidding)
Thank you again for giving me a chance to feel another beauty from your collection. It's time for another show and tell party as you know I too added more to my watermelon collections.
This one is the most guitar sounding tenor I have played ! Glad you made the purchase.

Holley is a stunner!!!! Love, love, love your sound bites. So happy you and this uke found each other.
It sounds like a match made in heaven. Congrats Dave.

This instrument comes with a radius fretboard, a nice medium size rounded neck profile and medium large fretwires. These are all things I like because through trial and error these features help to make an instrument easy for me to play. It is light in weight and very well balanced, playability is excellent. It is strung with Oasis warm low G including a wound 3rd from South Coast. Here is a sound sample just quickly recorded straight into my Samsung phone.

https://app.box.com/s/2nf7d38hcesmipybblz8xg3mnsw8opko

Sweet sound. You got warmth, brightness, clarity, harmonics, and resonance all in one. Congratulations Dave.
Classic beauty in the North American woods on that I'iwi, too.

Congrats! I chatted with Corey about that uke (as well as the Koa version they got in at the same time). He told me they both sounded HUGE.

@ dkcrown...Thanks Danna.....yea I was the sneaky guy that grabbed it, lol

@Solorule...We definitely have to get a backyard jam / show and tell organized

@Osprey....Thank you Cliff, I am enjoying it

@Steedy......I appreciate that.......no sideways pics either :p

Top Bottom