Permanent grooves in finger tips

Reaction score
I have got permanent grooves now in my finger tips, does anyone else have them? Also how do you get rid off them?

I have got permanent grooves now in my finger tips, does anyone else have them? Also how do you get rid off them?

Get rid of them?? Those are badges of honor!! :shaka:

Drink more water.

Lasting grooves on your fingertips? :drool:

I practice constantly, yet I don't have any! :iwant:

Guess I'll have to grow older first.

I practice so hard the grooves simply wear away ;)

I'm going to take this as a serious question. You didn't say so, but if your fingers hurt, try practicing for less time. Instead of 30 minutes at a time, try 3 15-minute slots throughout the day. Unless they hurt, grooves aren't a problem. But after over 13 years of playing, I don't have grooves that stayed. You're probably just getting used to playing. As your fingers build strength, the grooves will either go away or turn to calluses.

I hope this helps.

file them down, or quit playing!
I use hand lotion every night to help hydrate my nails and callouses.
When I was just starting out, my hard-earned callouses almost fell off after swimming at the gym. I scrambled to save them with a bit of sunscreen lotion.
If your fingertips are well hydrated, they shouldn't get hard or crusty, which might be a surface that would retain grooves.

I like the Hemp hand lotion from The Body Shop.

–Lori

You might want to back off on how much pressure you are using to fret the strings. You only need enough pressure to make a clean note. I have been playing guitar and ukulele for many years and do not have any grooves that last more than a minute or two...

Thanks, but I am not old though I am 16. And also I will try and not use too much pressure. By the way I do have calluses.

Last edited:
Something else to consider is the action of the ukulele (the height of the strings above the fretboard). Too high an action will require extra pressure to hold the strings down and could be the cause of these fingertip grooves. A properly set up uke will need only light pressure to play a note or chord cleanly.

Top Bottom