Song Help Request Song for hospice patient

Nickie

Reaction score
I've been requested to play in a memorial service for a patient of a very religious family.
I've found 2 of the songs they want, but a third one remains hidden from my eyes and ears.
They say it's called "mourning cry", but I've never heard of it. Does anyone know of it please?

Are the people Irish?

Maybe this is related, and the folks for which you are playing are talking about a generic thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keening

also, in The Bibile in Revelation 18:19, there is mention of a "mourning cry" but not sure if this applies:

http://biblehub.com/revelation/18-19.htm

If the above is no help, then maybe show them the PDF that Jim linked to above, and see if that's it...

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

No, Jim, they are German Lutherans. It's a moot point, hospice's MT told me I am forbidden to play at the memorial services of hospice patients.
It just keeps getting weirder.

No, Jim, they are German Lutherans. It's a moot point, hospice's MT told me I am forbidden to play at the memorial services of hospice patients.
It just keeps getting weirder.
Why do they care? If it's not on work time how can they not allow you? Even if it was, that doesn't square with what I know about hospice. They are supposed to care about the whole family. Well, the one my FIL was at did -- extremely well, I will add. This is helpful to them.

Sorry, Nickie.

Sukie, this hospice is more and more restrictive, more conservative every year. There is less attention paid to families' feelings than to the bottom line. I've seen them walk right away from a dying patient and his daughter, because of insurance issues. He died without a nurse. Tammy and I had to go console his daughter off the clock.
They give lots of lip service to the public, and the nurses, but we can see what's going on. The money that could have gone for raises is going to advertising instead.
Those at the top have taken more and more from the front line employees as time goes on. It is extremely political, long serving nurses are being forced out and new nurses (making way less) are being hired.
I have to have this job for a minimum of one more year. The crap we have to put up with is incredible, nurses are stressed out, quitting one after the other, and getting new medical conditions. There is even a blogsite that employees and former employees have gone to and warned other nurses to stay away from this company. I won't write on it, for fear of getting fired.
I truly don't expect to use the uke at work in the future, if I do it will be a fluke. (Not the flea like ukulele) I am asking the nurses I trust to let the case managers know about Live Music. (I never see a case manager, I work evenings)
I have little time at home to read a patient's plan of care to spot Music Therapy. It's kinda like finding a needle in a haystack. And I'm not dragging my ukes around and leaving them in the car in Florida summers, on the chance that they might be eligible.
I think this whole thing was a carrot on a stick from the get-go.
But I'm Certified. I may be Certifiable before my stint with hospice is over.
I apologize for ranting, I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for "listening".

Last edited:
...I think this whole thing was a carrot on a stick from the get-go.
But I'm Certified. I may be Certifiable before my stint with hospice is over.
I apologize for ranting, I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for "listening".

Nickie, so sorry that music is being hindered there.

Maybe over the next year you should see if you can get the company to pay for additional training/certifications such that when your time is up there, you can go out and do Music Therapy on you own, and freelance for those with relatives in hospice that need the music. Sort of a Musical Private Nurse thing...

Anyway, just an idea, and again kudos to you for fighting the good fight and trying to ease the suffering of those in need near you. No matter what the suits say or do, rest easy knowing that your work is meaningful to your patients.

When looking at colleges, one thing I considered was majoring in Music Therapy, and found some good schools (back in 1988) but pretty quickly that there was really no money in it at that time, I mean it was just above working at McDonalds

...and the programs I liked were 8-9 yr programs that were combined programs with Bachelors in Music, Masters of Fine Arts (Music) and PhD in Applied Therapy (Music)...and while I'd be nicely credentialed at the end of it and well trained to be effective in helping folks in need, I'd also have student loans near $100k that would take me almost 10 yrs of saving before I could afford minimum loan payments, and then about another 20 yrs to pay out via Sallie Mae.

I even looked for a Grant or Fellowship, and came up empty at that time.

Maybe now it's a different scene...

:) :music:

Thanks Booli,
It's about the same. Artists, for healing or otherwise, just aren't appreciated in this society. Ballplayers and CEOs are paid many times what they're worth, even more than a physician with 10+ years of education. A teacher can barely get by. MTs make less than that, may as well go flip burgers. The nearest MT school is 4 hours away, the program is 3 years. I can't even imagine the debt....
Well, I've highjacked my own thread.

No worries about the hijack from me.

Just know that with all your friends and their support here on UU, that YOU are NOT alone.

:shaka:

Top Bottom