Up strum

BevL

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm having a really hard time hitting ALL the strings on my up strum with my finger. Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Thank you :)
Bev

That's a terrific tutorial. Thank you for posting it. I'll view it several more times.

I was also interested in his aside from 8:20 to 9:22 where he discussed selecting an 'ukulele size based on your natural strum swing. Of course, the logic would be negated if you used a strap on your 'ukulele, or if you didn't strum often.

I upstrum with my forefinger (A string to g string) and downstrum (g to A) with my thumb.

From watching that James Hill vid I realised that I have a touch too much of the door knob strum, although nothing excessive. Need to tone it tone slightly, thanks for the video! :)

interesting, actadh, I do the opposite:

I strum down with my index finger and up with my thumbnail.

Actually, I strum down with my pinky and the index finger(nails),
then up strum with my thumbnail.

keep uke'in',

I do it almost like you Rod, but I use index and ring nails on the downstrum, thumb nail up.

...I use index and ring nails on the downstrum, thumb nail up.

This is exactly what I do. (when not fingerpicking)

Same technique as I had used for flamenco style on a classical guitar.

I have been using my forefinger, with nail on the down and the fleshy pad on the up strum, particularly on my Rubin which has a harp like tone on fleshy up strums. I noticed that James uses his nail almost parallel to the strings, but I have been using my nail perpendicular to the strings allowing me to use nail on both up and down, but when I want the harp like tone, I straighten my finger to use the fleshy pad on the ups.

Not that I think my way is better, just different. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Last edited:
Sometimes I don't want to hit all the strings on the up strum....recently discovered and want to master his technique by slowing it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgrQoZHnNY

This is something I also discovered in that last couple of months in strumming. You can emphasis certain strings on an up or down strum and it gives chords a different 'flavor' that greatly broadens the sensation of chords. Slowing down greatly helps in the development of techniques too.

Ukes are fun!

Top Bottom